Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Raise your hand if you like Red Virginia pipe tobaccos! (Me with hand raised as high as I can!) I love the dried fruit and stewed fruit that I get from some of them. Here's a limited edition from Cornell & Diehl that seems to git right in with the holiday season. Check out the review at the link below.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-tobacco-reviews/cornell-diehl-carolina-red-flake/

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Sometimes, I feel like the odd pipesmoker out. Reds just don’t make me happy. The amount of Red Virginias in Blackwoods Flake is about my limit. In addition, I don’t smoke ANY of the Frogs! Even worse? I have zero Churchwardens and I almost never reach for the one Corn Cob I own! Give me a nice briar filled with something like McClelland 22 and I’m a happy camper. What’s all this mean? More Red Va. blends for the rest of you! Win/win.

Mike S.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, I like that Carolina sourcing. Could be very good indeed, not McClelland, but Cornell & Diehl! All I have on hand in the red department is Sutliff, but I'm giving it some time.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Excellent review. Really hit the points from my own experience. Can use a little aging and not quite as good as McClelland or McCranies Red Flake but still very good. I enjoy smoking Red Va's all by their lonesome. I'm glad I purchased what I did, hope to be enjoying this blends for years to come.

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
Love this stuff. Picked up 2 tins initially, but purchased 4 more after trying it. Interested to see how it ages.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Excellent review of the Small Batch Red. I grabbed a couple of tins and plan to open one on Xmas Day.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I thought about buying some, but I hesitated and then lost the ability to try some. Maybe next go around I'll be in a better situation to buy some.
How have they been doing with it since the mold scare of 2016? Does anyone even know? I mean it would really be hard to know unless you popped all the tins and jarred them.

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
I opened a tin last week and had a bowl. McClelland is/was my favorite VA flake producer, so I had really high hopes for this. Tin smell is wonderful, and flake cut was easy to prepare with near-perfect moisture.
My first impression upon getting a good light: it was a bit sharp and a little rough around the edges with a slight cigarette note. Less sweet than McClelland offerings, and the nicotine was a bit stronger than I'm used to. I'm going purchase a few more tins, let this one rest for a year or so to mellow and see if it'll become something I really enjoy.

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
I'm going purchase a few more tins, let this one rest for a year or so to mellow and see if it'll become something I really enjoy.
It's my understanding it's all sold out for this year. Speaking of, do we know if there will be a batch next year?
Also, the tin note is almost non existent for me. Not sure where this wonderful tin note others describe is coming from. Very mild compared to other tobaccos; even other Virginias. Anyone else?

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Yup. Nice stuff. Has a great sour component that really works. Dilly dilly
h54A117E5

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
It's my understanding it's all sold out for this year. Speaking of, do we know if there will be a batch next year?
I don't know personally, but I did read on a forum that someone confirmed with C&D that the source 2015 tobacco for this expression is now exhausted. We'll see.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
Unfortunately I do not care for this VA. Extremely bland and cigarette like. Having smoked 5100 and red ribbon from the beginning, I will probably never find other versions of straight VA for my tastes. I am grateful I knew of the end coming and have a tremendous stock of my favorites. I purchased three tins of the small batch and will seller the unopened pair. The opened one will get a healthy dose of perique and a rest before trying it again. If still not to my liking some burley will be added and then some more rest. I am sure the addition of some components will be to my liking.

witchofthehollow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 24, 2018
I bought on to try now and jar, and one for a few years down the road. Not quite as good as McCranies, but in that same vein...I hope its better in a few years!

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
I received 2 tins from tobaccopipes and my numbers were 5450,5451/8000. Did they stop at 6,000? Maybe there are 2000 more tins waiting in a cool, dry, mold free environment for a special final release...

Status
Not open for further replies.