PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
Without wading in too deep, I would just say that C&D seems like the real deal to me. They make good blends, and they do manufacturing for other indie blenders like GLP. It's not just some unloved, niche product in a massive tobacco company portfolio for the folks there.

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
Hi, guys! Thank you to all the C&D supporters here. I can't wait to hear what those of you who try Straight Up English think of it!
Sallow, I appreciate that you suggest I look authentic and crafted. :) My mother will be so proud!

To those of you whom I have not met: Hi! I'm Jeremy. About a year and change ago, I began training with Ted Connelly, the gentleman who had been C&D's head blender for 20 years. I trained with Ted for nearly 6 months, in order to step into his role when he retired. Then during C&D's relocation, due to family matters, Chris Tarler needed to spend more time tending to home, and I stepped into the role of production manager for the C&D plant. I used to work at a shop in Chicago called Iwan Ries where I first discovered C&D tobacco and I was hooked. I am, and have been for some time a huge fan boy of C&D tobacco, so it is for me, an honor to get to work there and develop the brand and direct production for what is truly my favorite blending house. Anyway, I wanted to address the Small Batch blending components question many of you made comment on.
I realize that the tin description and art bore a discrepancy on our first run of Small Batch, concerning the White Burley component. To confirm, despite our error in the text, there is indeed White Burley, less than 10%, which is why it was deemed negligible in the description. Far from being, as some have suggested, an "American" blend, the White Burley is used for it's chemical properties more than it's flavor properties. To tell true, the Virginia's interplay with the Latakia is the focus, but the White burley offered texture and underlying strength. The blend's single largest component is actually Bright Virginia from our supply of really special Canadian crop from 2013. The color, aroma and uniquely zesty sweetness of this stuff is just lovely to work with. But what this Bright has going for it in terms of character and sweetness, it lacks in the Nicotine department. And in my opinion, a lot of English or Balkan or Latakia blends tend to leave me wanting more strength. Thus, the small addition of White Burley helped to soften the Brights, and up the "Umph" a bit, though without focusing in any overt way, on the flavor of the Burley. Think adding flour to gravy vs. baking bread.
Hope this is helpful in clarifying. Thanks again to all of you for your kind remarks and brand support!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jeremy- It's great to see you posting again! I'll look forward to trying out Straight Up in the next order.
I recall your being on the radio show, or at least a couple of Youtube clips, or maybe an ad on the radio, noting you have the perfect voice for such work.
Best wishes,
John

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
jpmcwjr, thank you, sir. Nice to be back. I did theater work in high school and grew up in a singing house hold. Thank you for the compliment.
jefff, I worked at Iwan Ries from 2006-2008 (roughly). Previously I worked at La Casa del Tobacco, and before that I managed Blue Havana for about 4 years. Surely, we've met. I was friends with some of the guys at Up Down as well.
I will be at the Chicago show again this year, so anyone who will be there, come say howdy at the C&D table or we can have a drink in the smoking tent!

jeremyreeves

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2015
DeathMetal, I appreciate knowing that there are indeed, other metal heads who have also discovered how great it is to smoke a pipe. It's cool to have multiple hobbies in common!

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Jeremy you are a good sport. I look forward to meeting you at the Chicago show.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I just got a sample of the blend, and will smoke and review it.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I just got a sample of the blend, and will smoke and review it.
Ahhh - the famed JimInks review. Seriously - you and pipestud are the two reviews I search for on any blend at tobaccoreviews. Thanks for all the time you take providing the feedback.

pipesinperu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 21, 2014
Think of it this way: if you wanted to buy heavy metal, and you went into a heavy metal shop and the guy behind the counter was clean-cut with glasses wearing a Polo shirt, you might feel offput...
You might feel off-put, but they still might be able to school you. The three most knowledgeable metalheads I know happen to also be lawyers. Not the most clean-cut of lawyers, but lawyers nonetheless. I see what you're saying, but in music, as in tobacco, I've found that it's often worth my while to give the contents a chance rather than judging by the packaging.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I often feel that C&D offers too many blends already.
In my view, what they are doing is intelligent: see what sticks. They offer many similar blends but these are like AB tests for each type of blend.
DeathMetal, I appreciate knowing that there are indeed, other metal heads who have also discovered how great it is to smoke a pipe. It's cool to have multiple hobbies in common!
You too! When is C&D going to do a Deicide tribute blend? Or even Slayer? ;)

jfox520

May 24, 2013
This blend sounds great can't wait to try it. There can never be enough English blends as far as I am concerned.

beezer

Jul 12, 2013
I smoked my first bowl of this stuff last night and it was most excellent. One of the more satisfying smokes I've had in a while. I'm not much of a poet when it comes to reviewing a blend, but I'll say the interplay between the virginias and the latakia was very nicely done. This is a real unique blend. The virginias really shine in this one and the amount of cyprian was just right for me. I'm happy to have picked up some tins while it was available.
If the other small batch blends are as good I'm going to have to keep an eye out for them!

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
If any member is lucky enough to have gotten some of this AND is familiar with C&D Yale Mixture, can that person please compare them for me (who most likely will never taste Straight Up English)?

Status
Not open for further replies.