PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
kfeqv - if you get a chance post a pic of that please. i was thinking about refininshing a cob the other day, but haven't seen any with anything done other than stem replacement.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I have a lot of fun picking on cobs but, to tell the truth I do have a few. Cheap and dependable .

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Arthur, some of my cobs aren't so cheap. But then, I collect unsmoked antique cobs, so I'm willing to pay a lot to get what I dont have already.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
Cobs, IMNSHO, aren't cheap, but affordable. MM's Natural Freehand, at roughly $30.00, has a large conical shped bowl, and is the finest cob I've ever smoked. And yes, it really does out perform the most expensive briar that I ever had, which cost me $125.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
I've been eyeing the MM natural freehand for a while, you're review may have just nudged me into actually buying the damned thing. :wink:

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Heck I just spent $60 on PICTURES of corncob pipes.

But then, these are original pics inside the factory from 1937.......

It'll go nice with the dozen I have from the mid 1940's,

And all the MM catalogs from the 1900's.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
kf5eqv, you can't go wrong with a natural Freehand. I haven't heard of anyone who hasn't flipped over them. They're in short supply all the time, so call Marilyn at 800-888-2109 to order one. Both the white and red-hued are great looking, but I like the white ones best.

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Call me nutz, but I've got $50. invested in 5 cobs, but nearly $100. in stems. they are great smokers!

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I have 4 cobs. The freehand is a great smoker. I have the darker finished one. Althought I've read that people say the unfinished ones smoke cooler? But speaking of cobs my Diplomat which has thick walls is starting to cracker on the outside. Is there anything I can do for this? I really don't want it to crack all the way through the bowl. I know I once read something about this but I can't recall now...its a great smoke and I hate to loose it. Anyone have any thoughts?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I have only owned two. My first I bought over 20 years ago and it's still going strong.

It does have a crack in it, but I've noticed no problem other than aesthetic.

If aesthetics is a consideration. My second, my 'Cobwarden' has a ton of cracks in it.

Any suggestions on how to stop the cracks from growing... I thought about using superglue, but I would like some opinions/suggestions too.

ajwinter

Lurker
May 2, 2011
Cobs are effortless, light, and a lovely means in which to enjoy Burleys. Admittedly, they require a bit of savoir faire to displace the country-bumpkin association. That being said, I love my cobs more than my high-end briers; I keep one near at all times.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Lawrence, superglue should work fine.

Regular old wood glue is probably a good bet too, if the cracks dont go too far into the bowl.

Just wouldnt want to smoke too much wood glue if I could help it

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.