PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ettolla1

Lurker
Mar 29, 2012
Hi There

I just started making corncob pipes, using mine own corn, but not big enough and MM, would anyone know where i could find a bigger cob min. 4 inches diameter without the kernels or seeds to grow my own?

thanks

ricco

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I believe I read some where MM cures the dry cobs for years before making a pipe out of them? Not sure about what variety they use but I get almost all my veggie seeds from Territorial seeds. They have a face book page. You could ask them about the cob sizes. They are nice people and maybe they could give you an answer?
http://www.territorialseed.com/category/corn_seed

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
MM uses hybrid seeds that have been developed over the years, and new seeds are needed every year, although I don't know why. And no, they don't sell blanks, since they have problems growing enough large cobs for their own needs.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
Please accept my words as sincere and suggestions as genuine.........

Let me commend you for your initiative on making homemade pipes. Where you have corn at your disposal, I have hardwoods. I know the joy attached to personal craftsmanship. My curiousity is sparked by your statement about your willingness (at last resort) to grow a hybrid corn for making a pipe. Please explain how you would have the

extreme patience to wait the duration from ground-breaking to finished product? I imagine that to be equivalent to my staring at a sapling for the eventual day I could cut it.

Why not compromise with a two-bowl smoking session using a cob already available? OR, making a simple sitter chimney-bowl fashioned from maple (as MM makes) and adding your shank and stem to that? One great advantage of hardwoods is no size limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.