PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
From your picture it looks like you have a MacArthur. In fact, your picture looks very much like...oh, hold on, I see what's going on now.
I actually find he looks like Stephen Colbert in this photo.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
masked1, check out my Buyers Guide, Primer, and MM's web site for an idea what available.
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Missouri_Meerschaum_Corncob_Buying_Guide
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer
http://www.corncobpipe.com/

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The MM Legend should be right in your price range and will serve you well as long as you smoke it right. I got unclearthur to make a stem for mine and it's even better, even though the stem cost more than the pipe!

maxpeters

Can't Leave
Jan 4, 2010
I've had my Missouri Meerschaum for about 25 years, and it's still going strong. I don't smoke it constantly, but enough to keep it out and handy.

Does anyone know how long these things last? I thought that they would fall to pieces after awhile, but this one is lasting a long time. No complaints though.

Also, does anyone remember when they stopped making the shank from baby cobs? I seem to remember that they could no longer get them, so they went with wood shanks painted to look like small cobs. Anyway, here is a picture of mine.

missourimeerschaumpipe004.jpg

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
maxpeters, that's one fine looking cob. I know of corncobs lasting over 40 years of regular service, when taken care of properly. Just because they're affordable is no reason to ignore them. My record is 22 years when I stumbled and stepped on a treasued Diplomat.

sfexeter

Lurker
Dec 3, 2011
Does anyone else feel that the cob gives the tobacco a totally different flavor? I smoked my first MM the past couple of days and really enjoyed the different taste.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Does anyone else feel that the cob gives the tobacco a totally different flavor?
Cobs give the pure flavor of the blend, since the walls don't hold any ghosts. I understand that many blenders will use an unsmoked cob when testing a new blend, since it will give them the purest flavor of the blend.

tiltjlp

Can't Leave
Apr 9, 2011
Cheviot Ohio
You're right Jud. When I was blending I bought Prides and Diplomats a dozen at a time because I tested every blend first in a Pride, then in a Diplomat, and only after I had perfected the blend in my cobs would I try it in a briar. But I'm a cob smoker to start with anyway.

foxinabox

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
Missouri meerschaum all the way. I'll personally attest to their toughness: Last october I forgot my (relatively new) washington in the breast-pocket of a coat I stuck into the wash... for 1 1/2 hours on super-hot. Freaked out once I realized where it went.
That killed the shank, stripped the cake, the bowl's finish, and fissured its exterior in spots, yet its integrity remained unaffected. Thus I dried the bowl, sanded it smooth to 2000-grit, re-varnished that, replaced the shank and gave it a go...
My discovery was a pipe indistinguishable in all qualities from prior to the accident.
Who the hell says corncobs are throwaways?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I think every pipe smoker should at least try a cob and there's no better choice than a MM. I have a legend and a Great Dane Egg and love them both! I carry the Legend anytime I'm out where my pipe could get lost or broken and the Egg is a go-to pipe for aros that I'm worried might ghost my briars.

francois1

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2011
I have a small colection of 7 good branded briar pipes bought a

gift pack of 4 cobs from the states and am now a cob convert

only now ocassionaly smoke the briar when i do they are great

but for me the cob is#1

david(SCOTLAND)

Status
Not open for further replies.