PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jcone1025

Lurker
Dec 10, 2023
Hello.

Picked up a couple of pipes last year from MM and started smoking here and there. Having a nice time relaxing on the porch smoking has been great. Been daydreaming of making some pipes in the future for gifts for my brothers. I’ve read some previous forums on MM seed and it looks like it’s tough to get if at all. Anybody have some MM seed left or know a great variety that will yield some larger, more woody cobs? Thank you everyone

I had a friend who brought back some seeds from MM (he wanted to make his own corn cob pipe too), and asked me to grow a row for him. This was before I sold the fields. So, I did as he asked, just planted a partial row. It got all of the same fertilization and irrigation as the rest of the field. All he got were a few ears with few kernels on them and a skinny little cob. The rest of my field gave me a great product. He was very disappointed.

Jcone1025

Lurker
Dec 10, 2023
Interesting. Was the rest of the field planted with a different variety? Cross pollination can be a real problem if they are planted too close to another variety.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
My grandfather who grew awesome corn always told me you needed 4 rows of corn for proper pollination.

I would think that if you could make a corn cob pipe you could just use wood and make a poker barrel pipe.

Reactions: El Capitán

Jcone1025

Lurker
Dec 10, 2023
So does anyone have any other varieties they would recommend or have a handful of MM seeds I could try this next growing season?

captaincalabash

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 25, 2016
Texas
My son-in-law and I decided to give this a try a few years ago, using corn cobs from dinner. I chopped 'em to length, scraped 'em again on the outside, the put 'em in the oven on low temperature for about an hour or so. Next, I got a drill bit that appeared to fit (3/4", I think) and a 3/8" bit that looked to fit a couple of leftover pipe stems we had and drilled carefully. It worked! He and I enjoyed several decent smokes in them before they finished drying out and would no longer seal around the stems. Criticism: the end result smokes OK, but is a small bowl and accepts a limited amount of tobacco. Oh, and there is a "popcorn" taste and aroma present in the first 1-2 bowls. Overall, a fun experiment!