PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostyforge

Lurker
Mar 30, 2010
So it seems like the humble Corn Cob pipe has been getting a lot of discussion on here. Everyone seems to have their own opinion on it, some love it, some hate it, and some don't care - either from not having smoked it, or did smoke it, but didn't think to much of it. But nobody's really given their reasons, a few have, but for the most part its just: I don't like it, I like it, I don't care.

So....all that to say: Do like or dislike Corn Cob? And why?
I'll start:

I love corn cobs, if fact, their the only pipe I've smoked, other than my one attempt at a oak pipe. I make my own pipes, so they're super easy to make (I made 4 in one day for a friends party) and IMHO they smoke wonderful. And, if they get broken, or wornout, I chuck it, and grab another one.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
For me, the advantage of a cob is they are cheap and they are great for trying new tobaccos. For about $4 US I can try a new tobacco without worrying about the ghost of a previous tobacco interfering.

They smoke very well but my ego gets in the way, so, when I go out and about, I take a nice briar.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I love my cobs simply for the fact that they smoke well and I can buy 12 for the price of one cheap briar.
Chuck, you should try some of the MM hard wood pipes! They are super cheap and the look better than a corn cob... great for egos!

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I love my MM cob warden... it is simply a great pipe, and didn't have the (pardon the pun) drawback that my regular cob did.

I have had one MM cob for about 20 years.

I find it a little difficult to do away with any pipe.

The "regular" MM cob imparted a funky corn cob, or burning corn silk taste into what ever tobacco I smoked. So it didn't get smoked for several years.

However; after a brief respite of.... oh... 10 or 12 years.

I picked it up again and it smoked pretty good.

So, now it is once again in my rotation.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Personally, I like using my cob as a beater pipe that I can smoke while working or out in the cold and if something does happen to it I can replace it for $5. Though, I recently have become attached to the little guy and started treating him like I do my briars. Cobs provide a cool dry smoke and for the price it can't be beat. You can buy 20 cobs for the price of one $100 pipe and with an all cob rotation I'm pretty sure the cobs would last for many years. Just my two cents though.

huntermb

Lurker
Sep 22, 2010
I like corncobs and they are the pipes I take out hunting and hiking etc. They are my go to pipe for my outdoor excursions.

flanative

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2010
As has already been mentioned, they are great for trying out new Blends. Also, I fish alot and if one of the cobs ends up going over the side Im not nearly as upset as I would be were it a briar!

spacecowboy57

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2010
I have one for trying new blends or for when i go places where i don't want to risk damaging or losing a good briar. I have never had problems with it, but just prefer the style of some of my other pipes. I personally am not one of those snobs who will only smoke out of the finest pipes, however i do prefer the look and feel of a briar pipe. for me, my preference for briars is based on aesthetics.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I am not a huge corn cob fan. I keep a few around though for times when I don't want to risk even my beater briars.

colonelmcmuf

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2010
I have one to try new blends on. She hasn't been seeing much use these past few months. I think I'll dust her off with a nice Virgina *goes a smokes*

scratchglfr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2010
I purchased a corn cob to smoke when were training in the field if it breaks no problem 5 dolla and I have a new one. WIN WIN situation.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Bubba, A couple of days ago I found A box with A few pipes in it from A long time ago, there was A cob in it that still has ash in it from the last smoke, probably 3 or 4 years ago. I I cleaned the ash out run A cleaner through the stem and shank put in A new filter. I smoked A load of 1Q and it was great. I will get A new cob.LOL I had chewed the end of the stem off that pipe, I couldn't clench it, had to hold it in my hand to smoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.