PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
The only codger blend I prefer to smoke in a briar is granger, every other codger seems to have better flavor and smoother smoke from a cob.i tried Prince Albert (my daily tobacco) in a briar just to see if there was any validity to the cob vs briar argument and I must say it tasted and smoked very different in my briar. Wasn't unpleasant but I definitely prefer it in a cob. For some reason though granger bites me hard in a cob but not in briar

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
And here people were abhorred over smoking estates. This is just down right disgusting.
Dot,

The story I've heard on Mark Twain is that he did have folks off the streets break in his cobs as he didn't like the "cobby" taste of new cob pipes. Cob pipes of his day would have had reed stems. Apparently after the cob was broken in by someone else, he would toss away the reed stem they had used and install a fresh reed stem for his use. Still, like you, it wouldn't have been my cup of tea!

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I just bought a cob and haven't noticed any particular need to break it in, nor any particular cob or plaster taste. It just smoked good and if it breaks in better, then my, is this going to be fun! I just tried some McClelland 715 Raspberry and Cream in it to see how it went, nothing I'm particularly enamored to and only have a bit of it left. Its been rather flat in my briars and my meers only a bit better, but in the cob, it came back to life and for the first time in a long while, I really tasted raspberry and creme! The flavor and aroma went from flat and 2-dimensional to coming off the page in 3 dimensions and taking shape again! So my advice to you is save the codger blends and go out and get yourself some really good tobacco that have real depth and body. It's all about the flavor anyway. So many blends, so little time.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Codger blends are awesome in a cob! Legendarily so. Remember, codger blends are not a different quality of tobacco, they're a different genre of tobacco. Much like rap music makes my ears bleed, some people think it's the cat's ass.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yes. Don't listen to rap music. It makes your ears bleed.
As far as codger blends and cobs, I heartily recommend Lane Limited Ready-Rubbed, Carter Hall, Classic Burley Kake, and Sweet Cask.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Smoke anything in them.
My age-shrunk, rim-scorched Country Gentlemen may look humble, but with a folded and rolled slice of Dunhill Flake, they absolutely sing! :puffy:
I've recently reacquainted myself with Sir Walter lately. Alternated between a Legend and a Washington on a crispy old pouch of this over the holidays.
Next time I'm hit with the PAD bug, I think I'm going to have to look at some of those Old Dominion cobs. They look like well-made, more attractive versions of my homemade cobs.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Good cobs like MM and Old Dominion will do a good job with nearly any blend. Two I've especially enjoyed in cobs recently are PC Log Cabin and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. Log Cabin is a non-aro Va/burley/Cav, and Three Star Blue is an aromatic Va/bur/Cav with a dash of Lat and Per and mild flavoring, tobacco forward, if I remember correctly.

papapauly

Lurker
Jan 2, 2017
While reading this thread I am smoking nightcap in a MM diplomat cob and am loving it! Generally I smoke any burley based blend in a cob but switch to briar for Latakia, perique type blends. This is the first time I loaded up something from dunhill in my cob and it won't be the last. One tip though, grab the 10 pipe grab bag of seconds from the Missouri meerschaum website, with shipping it is under $50 for 10 pipes and I could not tell you why any of mine were seconds (I had many cobs that were firsts before I discovered the grab bag)

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
As I sit here reading this with a cob stuck in my mouth I'm looking around at my smoking table and notice I have 11 different cobs waiting there turn,I guess you could say I like cobs.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Love cobs. They need no breaking in per se, but in my experience it takes 4 or 5 smokes to burn through the wood at the bottom, which then makes the end of the smoke much nicer. So I guess you could call that breaking in.

whitesands77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2016
Denver USA
Cobs are awesome. I find Va/Bur blends to be my favorite in them. I even enjoy the minis for a quick puff at work that fits in my pocket nicely after.

eaglebleyes

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2017
Mars
I'm new to cobs as well.. But I am also having a wonderful time puffing on Mac Baren vanilla cream in my brand new Missouri Meerschaum. The taste is delightful. Until the bottom when you char the stem in the bottom of the bowl..Looking to the future this pipe and I have together!

colorduke

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 5, 2011
I love all my cobs,but don't forget MM Ozark pipes once broken in,and they do take a little longer to break in are a great lightweight pipe for around $4.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.