PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
So, I seem to hear a fair bit of praise for Falcon pipes, I guess quite a few of you smoke them (or at least own them?).
But, I've always avoided them like the plague, mostly because I don't like the way they look, with that daft metal stem. But, of course, I stumbled across the Falcon "International" series, which I actually kind of like the look of...
So, they seem fairly nifty, what with the switchable bowls and all - but are they really that good?
Cheers!

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I just recently got onboard with the Falcons. I like mine thus far. Cool smoker, smaller bowl. Another addition to the rack.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
They are nice pipes but if you don't like them, then don't buy one. They are nice pipes but there are any number of inexpensive pipes (like cobs) that smoke as well.
The look of the Falcon has grown on me over the years. But I think the best part of them is that they are light, clench well, and are "nifty". They travel well due to the switchable bowls. Alot of the same applies to cobs though.

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
Nostalgia, practicality, utility, durability, options, price, cleanliness, weight. It's as workingman's pipe. An outdoorsman's. You gonna hang a pretty piece of artwork out of your mouth while felling a tree or repairing your car?

dafydd

Lurker
Oct 28, 2013
All pipes want to be a Falcons. Just put any pipe other than a Falcon in you back pocket and sit down. It will be a Falcon - Two pieces. But you can't smoke it. Get a Falcon quick from 4noggins!!

ascarypotato

Lurker
Nov 29, 2013
I love my Falcon. Take the bowl off, a quick wipe of the humidome, run a cleaner down the bore, stick a fresh bowl on, and you're away with the next bowl. The bowls are small (at least, the two that I have), but I can get 45 mins out of a broken flake.
Personally I love the metal stem too. I guess it's a bit marmitey.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Falcons are great all round beater pipes. They make for a great break from briar. Course, if you don't like the look of them, why, there are ten thousand other brands to choose from. You've got to WANT a Falcon, before it'll smoke good for you. If you need convincing, then better choose another. That's the secret to any pipe, really, if you think about it.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's a pipe. Tobacco in the front, smoke out the back. Nothing surprising there. Mine smokes cool is easy to clean, the multiple bowls are convenient, fits my fist well and sits comfortably in my mouth.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I've been thinking on a Falcon as well for some time now. I'll be watching this thread rather closely.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
All I have is briar so after seeing all the "Falcon Friday" love on the Pipe Smokers (Tobacco Only) group on Facebook I figured I would check it out. Nothing else thrilled me and I helped fund it by selling a Peterson to make cash for the Falcon and another Savinelli. Two pipes for the price of one.
For the $29 I paid for it I cannot think of any reason to complain or want to send it packing. Ever.

sjb3

Might Stick Around
Oct 23, 2013
They fly, they can spot prey for miles, they can take down animals three times their size, and nothing makes you look more like a Victorian era gentlemen than a falcon on your arm...oh wait, you meant the pipe. Falcon's are among the best pipes to smoke a flake in, in my humble opinion.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
If you do not like the silver stems, there is a fella on eBay that sells the all black hunter stems. I think 4Noggins can special order them for you.
I was in the same boat, joeval. But once I broke down and bought one I was totally amazed at how good they smoked. Bowls are cheap and I have yet to have a bad smoke from a Falcon. You will not regret getting one.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
They are a great "I don't give a s*&^" if something happens to it, ie. yard work, fishing etc. pipe, that smokes well.

Good for a short smoke & like them better than cobs.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
I love the fact that, though they are an American invention, they are a quintessentially British pipe. I think they smoke very well indeed, different than a regular briar because the system aspect keeps the baccy in the bowl from stewing in its own juices. So a slightly brighter, clearer smoke-- not unlike a Peterson system, but with a different kind of hygiene. I don't smoke mine excessively but I do smoke it regularly-- and I like it each time I do.
And they look so funky that they are cool by being uncool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have not yet been spoken to by the Falcon pipes. The metal aspect seems unpipely, and the little

drying system at the base of the bowl a minor complication. However, if I start to get deep mysterious

vibes (through the fillings in my teeth?) I shall undoubtedly click onto 4noggins and close the deal.

I think you have to get the magic signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.