PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Update:
I now have both a heatgun and buffing setup so will try the above methods that I was unable to due to a lack thereof.
Thanks by the way for all your answers and tips, much appreciated.
Wish me luck folks :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

Simple Man

Lurker
Sep 23, 2019
I'll tell you my method:

I sand till 320/400, the grain have to appear clear, then I stain. When dry, I sand from 400 till 800, then I stain again. From 800 to 1000/1200 then the other colour. After I sand till 2500 grit.

If you prefer, you can start the first staining from 800.

For a deeper contrast I use the ebonizing method. You can find it here www.popularwoodworking.com.

Most important is the right sanding after staining: not too much to take off the stain not too little to keep the grain hidden.

Here is a pipe I stained with the ebonizing method (without usig a second colour).

I wanted to keep a dark hue, so I didn't sand too deeply after staining.
exrZMCG.jpg
I'll tell you my method:

I sand till 320/400, the grain have to appear clear, then I stain. When dry, I sand from 400 till 800, then I stain again. From 800 to 1000/1200 then the other colour. After I sand till 2500 grit.

If you prefer, you can start the first staining from 800.

For a deeper contrast I use the ebonizing method. You can find it here www.popularwoodworking.com.

Most important is the right sanding after staining: not too much to take off the stain not too little to keep the grain hidden.

Here is a pipe I stained with the ebonizing method (without usig a second colour).

I wanted to keep a dark hue, so I didn't sand too deeply after staining.
exrZMCG.jpg
Love the color in this, which dye color did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.