Continuing my quest to be a crotchety old man at 20...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yoru

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2011
Well actually I'm not, I'm indoors right now. But I wear them outside. I've actually got one very similar to what yer avatar pic has on, at least it looks like it in that tiny picture. I've also got a 'Sherlock' hat because I couldn't resist.
EDIT: unclearthur, yer a bit of a lark aren't you?

flylot

Might Stick Around
Dec 17, 2010
I never knew hats had left! I guess I have more fedoras than pipes at the moment. My "go to" hat is an old silver belly Open Road with a diamond bash. Today's OR are bloody awful! Stiff and of poor quality. Stetson certainly has lowered its standards!
Damnable throw away society! Er.... I think my "crotchity" side is showing......

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
What? A gripy old man, Bubba? Perish the thought.
Flylot, I don't have more fedora's than I do pipes, but I've got about 12 of them. Most from the 40's 50's and 60's. A couple from a few famous heads and all re-done by the guy who does most of the motion picture industries hats, Graham Thompson of Optimo Hats in Chicago.

teamhavoc28

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2010
I was 20 when my ex-green beret friends called me a dirty old man 15 yrs their junior so you can age rapidly lol. back on the subject hats and hat restorers are dying breed.

flylot

Might Stick Around
Dec 17, 2010
I have only worn my homburg on rare occasions when daytime formal is required and I don my "stroller". I like the style.
Optimo is a great place. I think between Optimo in Chicago and Art Faucett, you can't go wrong with hats. actually, I am leaving for Chicago this morning on a 6 day and hope to check in on Optimo on my day off. Will also be looking for a tobacconist in Frankfurt hoping to score some 3 Nuns.
Oh, and I'm still so new I don't have 12 pipes yet, but I'm working on it! :)

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
Art's an awesome guy, he blocked my Panama last spring.....it's about a 650wpi Montecristi I had commissioned a while back, so I was pretty particular about it. He and I will be doing business many times in the future.

Have fun in Chicago!

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
Man I guess I need to start wearing hats again! I used to wear hats like this all the time....
men-caps.jpg

But I can't seems to find one that I like!

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
You want a nice one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Irish-Brown-Tweed-Flat-Cap-Hat-New-Ireland-sz-S-M-L-XL-/230571068860?pt=US_Hats&hash=item35af1b4dbc
I know, I know,...it's a live auction but not really, this company sells hundreds of these hats.
It's a Hanna hat made in Donegal, and they sell them for half the price that Hanna charges,.....go figure.
I've got two of them Bubba, they are the Porche of flat caps...but be forewarned; they are not your pretentious college-boy caps, these are damned sure crotchety old guy hats! :mrgreen:

collindow

Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
A hat is another one of those things I've been looking into.

In fact, to be honest...I've just been trying to get totally into the 50s style of male dress. So much cooler than jeans and a tshirt.

collin

Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
!!!ROTFLMAO!!!! Nice photo!
Collin could I interest you in another forum? The Fedora Lounge.
Great game last night Lawrence, congratulations! And speaking of Scotch Bonnets I gotta go roast a Poblano and get dinner started.

Status
Not open for further replies.