Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 27, 2020
Do you remember continental cuisine? When I was a lass and my parents took me to a restaurant they served continental cuisine. On the menu were dishes like liver with bacon, chicken cordon bleu, stroganoff and fudge. What happened to restaurants serving continental cuisine and what continent were they referring to, was it Australia?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
It was a mixture of dishes, some French, some Italian or Russian, more riffs than real, that was popular until the late '60's when it began to be phased out by more genuine national cuisines. The presentation and service were always elegant. Sort of a melange of Western European influences.

Reactions: SBC and warren
Jan 27, 2020
It was a mixture of dishes, some French, some Italian or Russian, more riffs than real, that was popular until the late '60's when it began to be phased out by more genuine national cuisines. The presentation and service were always elegant. Sort of a melange of Western European influences.

I am not elderly but saw them in my youth. I agree, they were nice white table cloth places. I ate fettuccini alfredo often.

Reactions: sablebrush52
Sizzler Steakhouse was in the error era of fastfood chains trying to run sit down meal places. I’m not sure which one owned Sizzler, but Hardees owned Quincy’s Steakhouse and there were a few others. This was pre-Ruby Tuesdays.

I just remember continental breakfasts, which was bagels and phhhht…. Hotels would offer these. My dad hated them, and we never partook when traveling. I still don’t want bread for breakfast.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Jan 27, 2020
Sizzler Steakhouse was in the error era of fastfood chains trying to run sit down meal places. I’m not sure which one owned Sizzler, but Hardees owned Quincy’s Steakhouse and there were a few others. This was pre-Ruby Tuesdays.

I just remember continental breakfasts, which was bagels and phhhht…. Hotels would offer these. My dad hated them, and we never partook when traveling. I still don’t want bread for breakfast.

Did you have Ground Round down your way? They served free popcorn that was the highlight of the menu.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
I remember grandma making some kind of not-recognized-as-food substances and declaring them "continental." One of them had Vienna Sausages (ugh) and, for chirssake, miracle whip and noodles. She also made ghoulash that was...how do I say...horrifying. We tried to feed it to the neighborhood racoons, who approached it with caution until one brave one finally took a bite and, I'm not kidding, started hacking and rubbing it's face and tongue with his front paws.

She had fallen well off her rocker by the time I was old enough to hold a fork. So anytime I hear "continental," I remember my grandma saying, "This is refined food, continental, that's why your father doesn't like it." No, grandma, dad doesn't like it cause it's shit.

tumblr_newis8gerB1rgctu0o1_500.jpg
And this.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Isn't Continental just an old world reference to anything related to Europe?

The only other time I've seen it mentioned was early 20th century weightlifting, ie continental clean and press, or cleaned it continental style.

If anybody googles the above lifts just for reference I've done both with excess of 400 pounds...
But not on camera though.