PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
I think that when you talk about a Dunhill or any other 'luxury' item, it's worthwhile keeping two things in mind: 1. everything is relative and subjective; 2. enjoyment is largely psychological.

There can be no doubt that owning and using a luxury item is almost always psychologically pleasing - even if it doesn't stand up to a more objective test.

When I purchased a new Dunhill in 2003 during a visit to my sis in the Big Apple, I derived much pleasure just from knowing it was a Dunny, and I know that added not a little to my pleasure in smoking it.

But since than I have owned a vintage Burak Connoisseur which cost me less but provided a more pleasurable smoke, and the Peterson Irish Free State I recently purchased beats the pants off the Burak. Finally, I have 3 Falcons and 2 Koolsmokes, which together cost somewhat more than the Peterson, but each of which smokes far better.

There's no harm in enjoying luxurious experiences, as long as they can be kept in perspective.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
When I first joined this forum I had picked up pipe smoking after letting it aside for about 35 years. I had enjoyed smoking pipes as an older teenager, but finally decided it was too much work to get the pleasure; cigars were alot easier.
Now, 35 years later, smoking pipes has a different sort of pleasure. Yes it is alot of work, but I really enjoy the ritual.
Back then my first three pipes were Petersons, one costing $100.00, which was a fortune for me. The seller talked about the grain, the name etc and totally sold me. I enjoyed those pipes for years and still have 1 of them (2 I sold to a new pipe smoking friend of mine).
I guess one can say (as said so many times before on the forum) that one can drive a Yugo and it will get you to the same place as a Mercedes. Few can argue, however, that the ride there would be the same. If you haven't driven a Mercedes, (and there are so many reasons not to-price is only one of them) I don't think its fair to offer an opinion.
I think that every serious pipe smoker should own at least one Dunhill in their pipe career. For lack of anything else, the history of the company and the pipe is worth it.
My wife bought me last Christmas a Triple Flame Dunhill from Dunhill in NYC, paying full price. It was incredibly beautiful, but I returned it. For that pipe, I eventually bought 3 (and part of a fourth) estate pipe from ebay and other sellers that are our sponsors. The fact that they weren't 'new' didn't bother me at all. I truly enjoyed not taking a match to a specimen of that great expense. I think if I would have kept it, I would just stare at it on my pipe rack.
I love the fact that my wife thought enough of my hobby to treat me with such a thing. She had no trouble in me returning it, but still makes fun of me when I search endlessly for 'that pipe', whatever it is.

Aug 14, 2012
Alei: Yes I have mostly Dunhills from this century. They are every bit as good as my first, a late 1950s Dunhill which I got new. Actually, I think the recent ones smoke a bit better.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
Thanks Foggymountain. Seems like I should trip to London to buy some serious stuff :)

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
My first Dunhill was an estate pipe. While that is a good way to add a Dunhill to your collection I'm not against spending the green for a new one. Besides I kind of like that first date experience with a new pipe. I think it's really just a matter of opinion that old "Are the new ones as good as the old ones bit". I am seriously happy with my two latest Dunies, a pair of 2012 Canadians.
IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have owned 2 brand new Dunhill Bruyeres that were from 2001. I own a 1977 and I own a Dunhill made Astley. The two new ones I sold off because I did not care for how they smoked. Luckily I paid less than wholesale for both the new ones and when I sold them I made good money. The ones I own now are good smoking pipes, but do not compare to my artisan pipes in smoking quality. The stems are now where near as comfortable, they do not smoke as dry or as cool. I understand why people have a fascination with the brand, the history is cool, when I look at a Dunhill, I think that is what a pipe should look like. I have not written off the brand because I am in search of a birth year( 1957) and I want to see for myself if the older ones smoke any better. I could never see myself paying for a brand new one because I can buy an artisan pipe from my favorite carver for much less.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have a few Dunhills, most bought as estates and one brand new. Do they smoke better than other pipes? I'm not sure. They are however, finished well, their drilling is almost always spot on so they'll take a pipe cleaner with no trouble and they look beautiful, if a little understated. My Dunhills are good smokers but not even in my top three favorite pipes. Should I sell them? Probably. Am I going to? No. They're Dunhills and I like them.
...and the debate carries on.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.