PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

redleaderdave

Might Stick Around
Jan 19, 2022
Bridgewater Ma
Hi all, this maybe a dumb question but here goes. I recently purchased a Savinelli 622 bent pot that I really like, but the bow is pretty large at .91 x 1.52. I can easily spend well over an hour smoking this thing. This may be because I'm trying to smoke it slowly while it breaks. Once its broken in is is OK to pack half a bowl or would that cause the pipe to carbonize unevenly over time? Would I be better to just pack a full bowl and split it over two days? There are times when a long smoke is nice, but lately under an hour would be better. I suppose I could just save it for time when a longer smoke is called for, I'm just really enjoying the way this is smoking compared to my other Savs which have smaller diameter bowls.

Dave

1.52 is not really all that deep, and width doesn't affect how long a bowl will smoke as much as the percentage of width to depth, but that is neither here nor there,
The width is probably adding significantly to the flavors, as you will have more tobacco surrounding the cherry, pushing off more of the essential oils of the tobacco before it actually incinerates.
Yes, pack half bowl a million times if you want. It doesn't bother me at all, and I'm sure it won't do anything negative to the pipe.

I find Virginias and Vapers to be the best DGT smokes, and they can set for weeks even and still taste great when relit. YMMV

As for whether it will cake or not. I believe that it will still cake up above the tobacco line, and I say this because many of my pipes will start to develop cake over the rim if I don't keep the rim cleaned off.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
SE WI
I find Virginias and Vapers to be the best DGT smokes, and they can set for weeks even and still taste great when relit. YMMV

As for whether it will cake or not. I believe that it will still cake up above the tobacco line, and I say this because many of my pipes will start to develop cake over the rim if I don't keep the rim cleaned off.
I believe a lot of cake comes from the smoke. Which makes me wonder. Will a meerschaum pipe with a coloring bowl still cake in the chamber?

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I just swab out the bowl in good shape with a wadded up paper towel after each smoke. The bowl will form a thin layer of carbon but no heavy cake to worry about. Half bowls won’t be an issue. Many members here don’t build cake in their pipes.
^^^ This

I pack partial bowls more often than I pack full ones, never had a single issue.

Oh wow you don’t own a single meer? Thats surprising.
Of course not. A man who stands in front of a refrigerator clad exclusively in boxer shorts gnawing away at a chicken leg between swigs of milk straight from the jar clearly has no time for meerschaum. At least that's the word on the street.

@cosmicfolklore See? I told you it couldn't be unseen. I don't understand why no one listens to me. Wait, strike that...I do understand, I just don't agree with it. 🙃

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not all color rapidly at all.
Not really, I think that I advocate my passionate love for the aromas of warmed briar quite frequently. I am not opposed to meerschaum, and there are a few that I've seen that I think are beautiful. I am also just not a fan of the color they turn when smoked.
Not all meers color rapidly. Outside grime can be washed away. And the hot water flush works well in giving them a quick and easy clean.

@cosmicfolklore See? I told you it couldn't be unseen. I don't understand why no one listens to me. Wait, strike that...I do understand, I just don't agree with it.
For the record, because this will not make sense when someone dredges up this thread 6 to 8 years from now. He is referring to another thread, but they keep mentioning that they've seen this. But, they could have only seen this in their imagination, and they chose to see me in whatever way their imaginations sway.

Kind of odd to know that I'm running through the imaginations of grown men anyways, ha ha.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
For the record, because this will not make sense when someone dredges up this thread 6 to 8 years from now. He is referring to another thread, but they keep mentioning that they've seen this. But, they could have only seen this in their imagination, and they chose to see me in whatever way their imaginations sway.

Kind of odd to know that I'm running through the imaginations of grown men anyways, ha ha.
You totally blew the lid off my plan to utterly confuse people several years down the line. Thanks a lot! nnnn

Also, please define "grown." 🤪

The Libertine

Might Stick Around
Jul 19, 2024
Paris, France and NYC
I don't think I've ever left a bowl half full. It depends on how long you wish to smoke I would imagine. The caking should still be even or at least unnoticeable with smoking just half a bowl.