PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
With all the troubles on the dating scene, and the hassles and scams on dating sites, I bet some young folks with a proclivity for writing could get good benefits from writing letters.

They get attention. They tend to get kept and read at least for a time, maybe for years. If one is prone to write, it can set you apart from the pack.

When I was in the Navy, I sent my now-wife, former college friend, a drawing of the minesweeper on which I was serving, along with a letter with instructions to hold the drawing out at arms length and rock it from side to side, gently or hectically as the mood occurred to her, to get the full effect.

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
With all the troubles on the dating scene, and the hassles and scams on dating sites, I bet some young folks with a proclivity for writing could get good benefits from writing letters.

They get attention. They tend to get kept and read at least for a time, maybe for years. If one is prone to write, it can set you apart from the pack.

When I was in the Navy, I sent my now-wife, former college friend, a drawing of the minesweeper on which I was serving, along with a letter with instructions to hold the drawing out at arms length and rock it from side to side, gently or hectically as the mood occurred to her, to get the full effect.
As someone who has written letters to past girlfriends before, I can say confidently that you are right. Hell, my mom still has her letters from my dad, and they've been divorced for ages. A well-written, heartfelt letter is special, and its relative rarity and quaintness these days make them all the more precious to the addressee.

Also, your story about drawing the ship you were on is wonderful. Thank you for sharing it!

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Letters remind me of a lot of old songs, but most of life does.

Enjoy:

Yesterday a young soldier with his entire life in front of him was arrested for leaking highly classified documents directly compromising the United States.

I’ll bet he didn’t leak one scrap of paper, and every one was electronic communications.

We are losing our respect for the written word. Schools no longer teach cursive writing. The commissioner of the USPS intentionally is attempting to slow the mails. My letters to and from Humansville and Dunnegan take a week, when they used to take a couple of days.

And when I was a kid to have bad mouthed the United States Postal Service would have started a fight. It would have been like treason or disrespecting the flag.

I still write letters, and I respect the men and women of the United States Postal Service that deliver them, rain or shine, in the heat or cold, six days a week.

Last edited:

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I still respect the postal service for what they do. It’s not as good of a job as it once was and that’s sad, but we get pretty great service where I live. Once upon a time a man could raise a family by carrying the mail. Not so much anymore.

Tempora mutantur et nos mutamur in illis.
(The Times change and we change with them.)

Flopoz

Lurker
Feb 6, 2023
Letters remind me of a lot of old songs, but most of life does.

Enjoy:

Yesterday a young soldier with his entire life in front of him was arrested for leaking highly classified documents directly compromising the United States.

I’ll bet he didn’t leak one scrap of paper, and every one was electronic communications.

We are losing our respect for the written word. Schools no longer teach cursive writing. The commissioner of the USPS intentionally is attempting to slow the mails. My letters to and from Humansville and Dunnegan take a week, when they used to take a couple of days.

And when I was a kid to have bad mouthed the United States Postal Service would have started a fight. It would have been like treason or disrespecting the flag.
As a high school student, I often find myself struggling to balance my coursework with my extracurricular activities. That's why I turned to a reputable essay writing service for help with my English assignments. The writers assigned to my projects were knowledgeable and efficient, and they were paper writing service able to deliver well-written essays that met all of my teacher's requirements. Thanks to their assistance, I was able to maintain good grades and participate in the activities I love.
I still write letters, and I respect the men and women of the United States Postal Service that deliver them, rain or shine, in the heat or cold, six days a week.
I agree with your conclusions.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
I don't really send letters but I do send cards to friends whenever they have a major milestone, or hand them one if it's a wedding or such. It's a process I put much effort into. I always buy cards made by local companies at local shops, no Hallmark for my friends. For pens I just use a ballpoint, I've never gotten the hang of fountain pens though I do have a nice collection I inherited from my grandpa (who had been a pipe smoker before I was born), and I have a sealing wax set I always use on the envelopes. To me sending snail mail is an occasion, so might as well put thought, effort, and money into it.

Reactions: RonB and jpmcwjr

gcdkobanan

Lurker
May 30, 2023
Lately, all I do is write letters. Except that these letters are not addressed to my friends or family. They are addressed to members of the admissions committees of the universities I am trying to apply to. To be honest, I am not very good at writing on my own. I've had friends advise me for a long time fellowship personal statement editing service, which I used to put together the perfect scholarship application.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123