PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
I find the first few puffs of Coniston, especially the first light, to be wonderfully fragrant. The Lakeland essence is most evident at the beginning then quickly fades but doesn't completely disappear. The underlying tobacco is rich and pleasant. Not an everyday smoke but a very pleasant change of pace.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I find the first few puffs of Coniston, especially the first light, to be wonderfully fragrant. The Lakeland essence is most evident at the beginning then quickly fades but doesn't completely disappear. The underlying tobacco is rich and pleasant. Not an everyday smoke but a very pleasant change of pace.
If you slow right down to a bare simmer you can maintain that “first light, tastes-as-it-smells” blast of flavour in any tobacco.
In fact your post reminded me that when I wrote about coniston in TR I said I could regulate if I got the tobacco taste or the sauce by regulating puffing.

Auxsender

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 17, 2022
Nashville
I like Coniston Cut Plug less than literally any other tobacco I’ve tried. In fact, I feel comfortable saying I HATE this tobacco and wish I could get my money back. Luckily I only bought 2 ounces. The only reason I’m gonna keep it is to see if I can use it for trading in the future. Typing about it is forcing me to think about it which is making me queasy.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
My personal favorite is Dark Flake Scented, also like Dark Plug and the unscented Flake but whatever they put on the scented flake doesn’t taste a lot like their perfumed stuff to me, more like rose and bergamot but everyone seems to taste something different. Dark Birdseye, Kendal Dark Vanilla & Brown Bogie are also favorites of mine.

Westmoreland Slices would be at the top of the list If we could get it here in the States, I’d have pounds and pounds of it but they seem to refuse to send it to this side of the pond.

I also like the more popular ones from GH&Co like Ennerdale, Kendal Flake, and Bob’s Chocolate Flake but I don’t smoke those very often, I treat them more like a… well… treat.

I think you might really like the Dark Flake, Kendal Dark & Dark Birdseye. I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts, I find these to be much more stout than Coniston Cut Plug.
Where would you suggest I look Kendal Dark Vanilla? I’ve been unlucky or looking in the wrong place. It’s one of my favorites too. Scored a lb of kendal dark at least- but not KDVanilla

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Where would you suggest I look Kendal Dark Vanilla? I’ve been unlucky or looking in the wrong place. It’s one of my favorites too. Scored a lb of kendal dark at least- but not KDVanilla
I’m not too sure anymore. I think they discontinued it for the US market?

briarbuda48

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2013
Texas
I ordered 500 grams of Bosun and Coniston this last drop. I threw in 8 oz of Brown Flake Scented for good measure. I really enjoy all three. If I had to choose one. Bosun would take the lead.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I’m a big fan of GH&Co. products. I smoke them most every day. My favorite is Dark Plug, followed by Dark Flake both scented and unscented. I have always thought of Coniston as a “Bosun Light”, similar but milder.
I ordered more dark plug for the cellar. It's soooo good.