PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ryan

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I got a few Gawith Hoggarth blends in my shipment yesterday and I tried the Coniston Cut Plug a little while ago.

I had read reviews of this tobacco and one thing that came through was that this was a strong tobacco. I’m not sure if I understand the use of the word to describe this blend.

The tin note was largely the dark fired to my nose, I didn’t smell any Lakeland odors like I thought I would. I imagined that that Lakeland essence would be light.

I was wrong. I didn’t find anything strong about this blend, I think the Mac Baren Old Dark Fired seems much stronger than this blend, and I thought I would taste that dark fired tobacco in this blend. Instead, it really felt like I was smoking a bowl of grandmas talcum powder for the whole bowl. Towards the end of the bowl I started tasting a little tobacco, but not much. I smelled the strength, but never tasted it.

I used a meerschaum pipe and next time I will use a cob or briar to see if it makes any difference. I didn’t hate this tobacco, but I had definitely lost my enthusiasm for it by the end of the bowl.

I only bought one ounce, and I will keep trying to to see if it improves for me, but I have to say I don’t understand what it is that is strong about this tobacco. That talcum powder flavor wasn’t overwhelming, it was just the only thing I could taste.

This tobacco doesn’t remind me of any other tobacco I have tried. Perhaps by the time I finish the sack I will have formed a full opinion. It is definitely not something I see myself smoking regularly.

Reactions: mingc and Ahi Ka

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I agree, I think this is overrated as a strong blend, I always found it pretty mild myself. I enjoy it from time to time but there are others in the GH&Co lineup that I usually reach for over this one. From time to time, it really hits the spot though.

Ryan

Sep 30, 2021
Noblesville Indiana USA
I agree, I think this is overrated as a strong blend, I always found it pretty mild myself. I enjoy it from time to time but there are others in the GH&Co lineup that I usually reach for over this one. From time to time, it really hits the spot though.
Which ones do you like? I got an ounce each of the Coniston Cut Plug. Glengarry Flake, Dark Flake Unscented, Kendal Mixed, Dark Bird’s Eye, and Kendal Dark. I’ve only tried the Coniston and the Kendal mixed. Neither one made a big impression on me on the first bowl.

Reactions: ofafeather

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Which ones do you like? I got an ounce each of the Coniston Cut Plug. Glengarry Flake, Dark Flake Unscented, Kendal Mixed, Dark Bird’s Eye, and Kendal Dark. I’ve only tried the Coniston and the Kendal mixed. Neither one made a big impression on me on the first bowl.
My personal favorite is Dark Flake Scented, also like Dark Plug and the unscented Flake but whatever they put on the scented flake doesn’t taste a lot like their perfumed stuff to me, more like rose and bergamot but everyone seems to taste something different. Dark Birdseye, Kendal Dark Vanilla & Brown Bogie are also favorites of mine.

Westmoreland Slices would be at the top of the list If we could get it here in the States, I’d have pounds and pounds of it but they seem to refuse to send it to this side of the pond.

I also like the more popular ones from GH&Co like Ennerdale, Kendal Flake, and Bob’s Chocolate Flake but I don’t smoke those very often, I treat them more like a… well… treat.

I think you might really like the Dark Flake, Kendal Dark & Dark Birdseye. I’m looking forward to hearing your thoughts, I find these to be much more stout than Coniston Cut Plug.

Last edited:

REO

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2020
Atlanta
I received the Consiton Cut Plug and was totally disappointed. No taste at all. I like straight VA and VAPERS. Bob's CF is a favorite but the Coniston was a dud. Hope a jar and some time will bring it out.
Also looking to purchase my first meerschaum and wondering about Astas quality. No knowledge of the various carvers or quality. It's a journey!

Reactions: Ryan and sandollars

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
@Ryan, I too bought a mix of GH blends from SP a couple weeks back and I'm slowly working through sampling them. My choices were Coniston, Glengarry, Dark Flake Aro, Brown Flake Aro, Brown Twist, and a couple tins of Rum Flake; these will be the first GH tobaccos I've tried.
So far, I've only dipped into the BT and Glengarry. Really liked the Brown Twist; I found it has a very strong and straightforward tobacco flavor. The Glengarry, though, was fantastic - just a real pleasure that put a big smile on my face; that's one I can see buying in bulk in the future.
I'm looking forward to working on the rest of them soon, and will post my thoughts on the Coniston here. I love the pouch note, and hope it lives up to the high bar already set by the others - but I suppose they can't ALL be top notch for all of us. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

pip01

Apr 3, 2018
NJ
I personally find Coniston to be in-between Bosun and Dark Flake in terms of strength. Coniston has a very unique smell and flavor. Sometimes I crave it. Bosun has a more earthy spicy scent to it which is nice too.

The Scented flakes have a more cologne aroma to them. Glengarry is really good and so is Brown Flake Scented. I'm really digging Kendal Flake as of late which I find to be more floral than the others. I also prefer Dark Birds Eye to Kendal Kentucky as DBE is a bit smoother to me.

Ennerdale and Rum Flake are just OK. I just got some Rum Twist which I like better than Rum Flake but it is way to wet right now. I need to really dry it to get a proper evaluation of it.

Bob's is awesome. To me it's like a smoky semi sweet chocolate. I find it to be very pleasant tasting.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
I personally find Coniston to be in-between Bosun and Dark Flake in terms of strength. Coniston has a very unique smell and flavor. Sometimes I crave it. Bosun has a more earthy spicy scent to it which is nice too.

The Scented flakes have a more cologne aroma to them. Glengarry is really good and so is Brown Flake Scented. I'm really digging Kendal Flake as of late which I find to be more floral than the others. I also prefer Dark Birds Eye to Kendal Kentucky as DBE is a bit smoother to me.

Ennerdale and Rum Flake are just OK. I just got some Rum Twist which I like better than Rum Flake but it is way to wet right now. I need to really dry it to get a proper evaluation of it.

Bob's is awesome. To me it's like a smoky semi sweet chocolate. I find it to be very pleasant tasting.
in my opinion Bosun was nice strength wise but there was too much of clove on it

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
G&H have always been a bit hit or miss. However even on their worst day I find most of their offerings to be acceptable. Coniston Cut Plug is one of those blends that evokes strong opinions on both sides of the isle. I personally like the stuff along with Bosuns Plug since I am a Rose Geranium junky. Since Condor Plug no longer does it for me due to Gallaghers/Japan Tobacco deciding to get into a race to the bottom due to globalization I am more inclined to be less demanding and support the home industry up in Kendal. One thing you can do with CCP is mix it with Erinmore since it then requires very few relights and is an excellent way of enjoying the tobacco whilst simultaneously disposing of an unwanted tin of Erinmore that I couldn't even unload onto Jim Inks!!

Franco Pipenbeans

Jan 7, 2021
Yorkshire, England
I’m just beginning my meanderings through the Lakes but so far I’m liking everything I’ve tried, nothing jumps out and says “horrible” like other offerings I’ve tried.

I’m particularly enjoying Rich Dark Honeydew (is this a Lakeland though?), Ennerdale, Coniston plug and Bosun’s plug, with some Westmorland and Glengarry flake on order.

condorlover1’s recommendation to mix with Erinmore also works with Condor, to give it some of it’s old flavour back.

I also note that the tin note needs a day or so in the jar to come through properly and then it gets more scented the more it sits.