PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I have never heard of this, but I am fascinated! Could you describe in more detail what it looks like to rub a flake into a ball? Like do you lay a flake in your palm and then rub a circular motion over it with the other palm... or what?
Yup, exactly. I usually fold it like a fold-n-stuff but then roll it around in the palms until it’s somewhat ball shaped and then pinch it between my fingers and thumb to roll it a bit more then push it gently into the bowl - not all the way to the bottom. It behaves a lot like a folded flake but is more broken up and there’s a space at the bottom of the chamber. Takes a little practice but isn’t difficult. It will seem too high up (don’t let it rise above the rim unless you like lava and charred rims) and maybe a bit tight but that’s okay. Just be mindful with the tamper - like folded flakes you can easily pack it too tight and tamp it too hard.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Make sure that you wipe out the chamber with a wad of paper toweling after a smoke to keep the bowl from building up residue at the base. Also, pick up a Buttner type reamer for when you want to trim down the cake. Those are designed for conical chambers. And if things still get clogged,a pipe cleaner down the airway is your friend.

Reactions: blackpowderpiper