PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Eswey

Lurker
Sep 14, 2023
88cb28fb-ec66-41d0-b655-b2bebe81615e.jpg i really confused.. the nomenclature of this stanwell wrote "27", but it different from catalog. why?IMG_20231012_002743.jpg

Stanwell no longer exists, in my eyes. It is now just a name slapped on some pipes made in Italy. They have no connection at all to the Danish pipes of old. None. So, as it seems... they are no longer following the Danish design catalogs. So, those old catalogs are merely antiquated pipe history no longer connected to those Italian pipes being made.

Eswey

Lurker
Sep 14, 2023
Stanwell no longer exists, in my eyes. It is now just a name slapped on some pipes made in Italy. They have no connection at all to the Danish pipes of old. None. So, as it seems... they are no longer following the Danish design catalogs. So, those old catalogs are merely antiquated pipe history no longer connected to those Italian pipes being made.
i got your poin, but this one was old Stanwell. The Nomenclature wrote "Made in Denmark"

Eswey

Lurker
Sep 14, 2023

a45e4560-4552-4d80-b190-d6dd9ef20d3d.jpg
this another perspective of the pipe768d65f9-f1f3-400c-a2b6-999ede31225a.jpg

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
Stanwell would use the same number for different pipe shapes. I don’t know the rhyme or reason as to why they did that, but if you scroll through the list Aro posted you’ll see that a large percentage of their shape numbers were applied to different shapes, which usually aren’t similar to each other at all

Eswey

Lurker
Sep 14, 2023
I'm fully aware that Stanwell use the same number for many different shape, but i can't find this shape in any their catalog. and i checked google "stanwell 27", nothing similar to this shape.

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
You might want to reach out to Bisgaard Pipes and see if they have any info. They’re known for finding vintage Stanwells and might be able to help you out with specifics on this one

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I'm fully aware that Stanwell use the same number for many different shape, but i can't find this shape in any their catalog. and i checked google "stanwell 27", nothing similar to this shape.

We know it can be difficult to face uncertainty, but there might not be a complete answer to your question. The strange shape shouldn't effect the smoking characteristics. Maybe georged modified it from the original shape 27 to what you have. :)

Enjoy the pipe.