PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
In very rustic situations, in the days of old, even rustic old London, pipes were occasionally lit by hovering a chunk of burning coal or charcoal from the hearth with small tongs made to hold it. The tongs were held to hover the coal an inch or so above the pipe to light it. The bowls were lit without anything touching nor open flame... just drawing down some heat.
works pretty damn well too actually.

tabakpfeife

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2019
Never had an issue with tasting Zippo lighter fluid. I use matches unless it's windy outside, then I will use the Zippo. I do have a question, though. It's becoming difficult to get Zippo lighter fluid at Walmart lately. They do sell Ronson fluid. Does it have a "taste" problem? I know it's manufactured now by Zippo, but I am curious if the Ronson fluid is any different.

Oct 7, 2016
I use Swan Vestas, Diamond strike on box kitchen matches, a Corona Old Boy, a Bic, and a Zippo with a pipe insert. Well, as we speak the Old Boy is ar Arango for new seals after 20+ years of trouble free service, but I find a place for all of them.

My favorite of all time was the no longer made Colibri clip lighter. Every now and then, one pops up on eBay, but my understanding is that there is no way the seals have stood up after all these years and getting service would be an issue. There is a clip lighter on the market now, Xikar maybe, but I hear it has minuscule butane capacity.

Reactions: dcon

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Never had an issue with tasting Zippo lighter fluid. I use matches unless it's windy outside, then I will use the Zippo. I do have a question, though. It's becoming difficult to get Zippo lighter fluid at Walmart lately. They do sell Ronson fluid. Does it have a "taste" problem? I know it's manufactured now by Zippo, but I am curious if the Ronson fluid is any different.
I don't notice any difference between the Zippo and Ronsonol fluid.

Reactions: tabakpfeife

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Zippos are utilitarian, and ones with skulls on them, doubly so.
So skulls make a $10,000 Dupont utilitarian?

16085med.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
There is a robust modern trend of smashing high culture and low culture together.

We all look at the result and wonder if the skulls make the DuPont lighter low class, or if the DuPont lighter makes the skulls high class.

Who knows? Certainly not me.
I just like skulls.?

Reactions: BROBS

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018

I use Ronson fuel and the only difference that I notice is that it may burn a little dirtier than zippo brand.(leaves more soot on the zippo chimney) but I could also be making that up in my head as I've never done a side by side comparison. It's not a big enough difference to not use use it. Key word being MAY. I'm not 100% sure.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
When I smoked ciggies, I never noticed any taste from a Zippo.
Not until I lost one & used Bic lighters for several months before I bought a new Zippo [they're not cheap here - a basic Zippo is around $45] Then I noticed the taste for a couple of days until I got used to it again.

Same with a pipe. If I use just a Zippo lighter to light my pipe, I don't notice any taste.
The pipe insert works best [Send your Zippo to the factory & they will swap the standard insert for a pipe insert free of charge - or so I've been told]

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I use Ronson fuel and the only difference that I notice is that it may burn a little dirtier than zippo brand.(leaves more soot on the zippo chimney) but I could also be making that up in my head as I've never done a side by side comparison. It's not a big enough difference to not use use it. Key word being MAY. I'm not 100% sure.

Zippo owns Ronson/Ronsonol.

I'm not saying that there is not a difference, just wondering why there would be.

acidpox

Can't Leave
Nov 18, 2018
Zippo owns Ronson/Ronsonol.

I'm not saying that there is not a difference, just wondering why there would be.

Maybe it's a cheaper product line. Kind of like with guitars like Gibson/Epiphone or Fender/Squire? I know that zippo owns Ronson, have they always? If not then why not buy out ronson and close it down and have more market share and earn more money by just selling the slightly more expensive zippo line.

Reactions: python

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Maybe it's a cheaper product line. Kind of like with guitars like Gibson/Epiphone or Fender/Squire? I know that zippo owns Ronson, have they always? If not then why not buy out ronson and close it down and have more market share and earn more money by just selling the slightly more expensive zippo line.

OK, so my previous post sounds a little misleading. I just checked and this is what Zippo has on their website:

"In 2010, Zippo Manufacturing Company, Bradford, PA, acquired certain assets from Ronson including RONSON and RONSONOL trademarks and the products related thereto. Zippo did not acquire any of the corporation or any of the corporate records or obligations."

They must have kept the original production of Ronson going as a cheaper product line as you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.