PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I have a small mason jar with samples of Bourbon Bleu that I’ve had for a while. The inside of the glass seems to have some form of residue or condensation on it.

Has anyone had a similar experience with jarred plug tobacco?

I was initially worried it was mold, but it doesn’t look like it from the outside. I don’t want to open the jar yet unless I have to.

Here are some photos that hopefully are clear enough to show what I mean.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I've seen this on a couple of my jars. Black Duck, Artisian Blend, and Quiet nights seem to always do this for me. Opened them up and let them sit, came back after closing them up. Changed jars and it refogged on occasion. Thinking its gotta be oils as Embers stated.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Thanks for the comments, guys.

Glad to hear it is probably something normal and not mold. I’ll have to open it and try the Bourbon Bleu for the first time sometime soon.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Yes, I had a mixture of a couple goopy tobaccos that I put in a jar once, and the next day there was so much moisture in the jar, I had to open it for a while to dry out.

Reactions: tobefrank

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I have seen this too in a few of my jars. Gas light did this, old dark fired and Mac Baren navy flake all did this. It’s some kind of oil for sure, when I first saw it I thought it was moisture or mold so I opened the jars right away, and wiped some of it away with my finger, realized pretty quick it wasn’t moisture, closed the jars back up and they’ve been absolutely fine!

Reactions: tobefrank

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Better than the moisture I found yesterday. Had a shipment with HU come in and put some of the tins on the floor temporarily. Came back to a paint can full of Director's Cut having been pissed on by my cat, which of course collected in the paint can style lid. Spent half an hour rinsing, carefully opening, and extracting tobacco ribbons with scissors so as to not touch the sides to get it in jars.

I have never been so close to murder in my life.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I decided to open the jar of Bourbon Bleu this evening. The ‘condensation’ on the inside of the jar appears to be oils from the tobacco.

Makes me wonder how the oils travel from the tobacco to the wall of the jar.

I decided to light up a bowl of the Bourbon Bleu. So far I’m liking it. It appeared to be quite dry already but I dried it some more anyway.

Reactions: UncleRasta
Status
Not open for further replies.