PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bobbiy

Lurker
May 24, 2023
I'm still fairly young (currently in my early 20s) . I've heard from various people that clenching (especially one that is heavy) poses a risk of harming your teeth.

I don't like the idea of screwing up my teeth in the long run especially at my age. The pipe i currently smoke is pretty heavy but i still clench nevertheless.

if it's true clenching heavy pipes can harm the teeth then I'm prepared on setting off getting pipes that are safer to clench.

Last edited by a moderator:

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
A lot of things will screw up your teeth. Opening beer bottle isn't good idea. Clenching and biting hard on the stem might cause your teeth to shift. But unless your are putting great amount of pressure, I doubt it will crack your teeth. Now opening beer bottles with your teeth will definitely crack them. Extracted three teeth so far due to crack in them.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Look up "tooth notch(es) and clay pipes :eek:

Clenching too hard/over use of your masseter muscle can result in jaw ache and TMJ (temporomandibular joint) dysfunction

If the pipe is too heavy, hold it in your paw. EASY ;)
Or use a rubber/silicon bit

I don't know the cost of seeing a dentist where you are, but it's prohibitive in Sydney, Oz

CallMeSangy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 12, 2022
Central Virginia
Clenching is another one of those techniques that has to be learned first hand. Well first bite, or more so by not biting at all. You'll make a bad habit of too much forceful pressure if you try to circumnavigate the issue using soft bits on your stem. I really started to adjust after noticing a few small indents in one of my favorite stems. As others have said: rest it. Don't clamp it.

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
When I first started clenching my jaw hurt like hell and it'd set off headaches, now I'm used to it and can do it just fine. I'd recommend practicing clenching with a light bent pipe. Also get some pipe bits, I can't recommend pipe bits enough. They're rubber mouth pieces used on the end of the stem, they make things so much easier and protect the stem from chatter. You can get them on any pipe site or Amazon for real cheap.

Have you watched any of Muttnchop Piper's videos? He always clenches but has issues with his teeth hurting so now he uses lightweight shapes that are usually somewhat bent.

Reactions: Bobbiy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
P-lips were intended as medieval torture devices. I had one and sanded it down to a standard button.
An Irish invention 😁

WDC did a good Peterson imitation - complete with P-lip. Understandable as there was a Irish diaspora and the huge number who ended up in the States
But Savinelli also did pipes with P-lips cray
Irish Italians :eek:

• Haha
Reactions: mingc

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Retired dentist here. The muscles of the jaws have not evolved to continually clench. Hence people who do often report headaches. Which is usually attributed to internal jaw muscles going into spasm. Hanging the pipe is the way to go . Long term healthy teeth may move slightly if you always keep pipe in same place. It's acting as an orthodontic brace.

However if you have periodontal problems movement can be severe. So in that case avoid it.

pipesolitude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2016
Sweden
Try to get a bent pipe shape that rests comfortably on the jaw, that way you don't need to clench so hard. But when it comes to preventing dental problems I think a much more important thing is to avoid smoking too hot, because it might do harm to the gums in the long run. When you get older, the gums also become more sensitive, that is my experiene. My advise is to be very careful if you feel that your gums feel sore, even if it is just slightly so. Make sure to rest from the pipe until the mouth has fully recovered. If you continue to smoke the pipe with sore gums it might cause problems, especially when you get older. So the best advice is to be very disciplined with packing technique, drying etc. If you have problems keeping the pipe burning, that is when you need to be extra careful not to overheat the smoke, especially on relights. It is tempting to just want to relight the pipe, adding a lot of heat to get the pipe burning. But it is more advisable to lay down the pipe, let the tobacco dry (perhaps pick it up the next day instead). Or perhaps use a tool to loosen up the tobacco if it is packed too tight, etc. etc. With experiene you will know what to do. But the general rule: do not smoke too hot. The more often you smoke (if you are an everyday smoker) the more important is this rule.

Don't clench with your front teeth. Not only is it uncomfortable, but it makes you look really silly to have your pipe out front . I let mine rest just behind the eye teeth (or canines). The teeth are flatter, and it puts the pipe off top the side, where it looks more natural. I do not put any pressure on them, just let let it rest there.
You shouldn't be putting any pressure from your teeth on the pipe. If you find that you can't relax enough, be mindful that your tongue is not lodged into the roof of your mouth. In yoga, we learned that letting your tongue drop and relax, relaxes your whole face, or makes it easier to.

If you are worried about your teeth, maybe you are having a hard time clenching. In that case, just don't.

Those rubber bits, seem to force you to put pressure on the bit, because you're no longer just letting the pipe hang naturally. It sort of makes you bite harder to just keep the pipe in place, mainly because the button is minimized and the diameter of the bit is enlarged.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Don't clench with your front teeth. Not only is it uncomfortable, but it makes you look really silly to have your pipe out front . I let mine rest just behind the eye teeth (or canines). The teeth are flatter, and it puts the pipe off top the side, where it looks more natural. I do not put any pressure on them, just let let it rest there.
You shouldn't be putting any pressure from your teeth on the pipe. If you find that you can't relax enough, be mindful that your tongue is not lodged into the roof of your mouth. In yoga, we learned that letting your tongue drop and relax, relaxes your whole face, or makes it easier to.

If you are worried about your teeth, maybe you are having a hard time clenching. In that case, just don't.

Those rubber bits, seem to force you to put pressure on the bit, because you're no longer just letting the pipe hang naturally. It sort of makes you bite harder to just keep the pipe in place, mainly because the button is minimized and the diameter of the bit is enlarged.
^^^^^^
Totally agree. The bit in theory may soften the bite, but personally I find myself clenching down hard when using a bit. Plus they are disgusting... just sayin'

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
P-lips were intended as medieval torture devices. I had one and sanded it down to a standard button.
I have one p lip. It was my first above $40 pipe I bought back in the early 2000’s. I don’t want to get rid of it but hate the Plip. I may have to try your method, or just have a new stem made. I like your idea to try first. Do you happen to have a picture?