PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Good day,
I wondering if you all might be able to help me date as well as any additional insights you all might have on this very lovely The Everyman by Comoy's
Comoy%20The%20Everyman%20001-6.jpg

Comoy%20The%20Everyman%20001-8.jpg

Comoy%20The%20Everyman%20001-7.jpg

Comoy%20The%20Everyman%20001-5.jpg

Comoy%20The%20Everyman%20001-3.jpg

Comoy%20The%20Everyman%20001-2.jpg

Comoy%20The%20Everyman%20001-4.jpg

Comoy%20The%20Everyman%20001-1.jpg

Initially, I thought it was a thought it was a shape #001, but have subsequently found it is a #601:
https://rebornpipes.com/2016/08/28/i-love-the-shape-of-this-comoys-regents-park-london-made-canted-volcano/#jp-carousel-43566
Cheers,

Daft Rhino (FNG)

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Can't tell you much about the Everyman pipes but I do like that shape. A friend sent an identical pipe to me 3-4 years ago and I converted it from a push style stem to a screw stem using Grabow Ajustomatic parts.

Jan 8, 2017
Pacific Northwest
@ejames: Yes, I saw your thread! Something that I found interesting is the placement of the stampings. In your pictures, it appears that the "The Everyman London Pipe" appears to be on the top of the shank. Was that the case? By contrast, this pipe has that stamping is on the side, in line with the inlays on the stem.
@bluegrassbrian: Indeed. That and the other grain quality and the quality of the overall finish seem surprising for a second, pedestrian, brand from Comoy. (This might more to do with one's expectations than reality.)
@pepesdad1: I have not smoked it. I just finished restoring it yesterday. I took the pictures and posted them here. My initial plan was to sell it but I'm on the fence as it is unique and rather handsome. Maybe I will take it for "test drive" today and let the be the deciding factor.
@ejames: Some six years later, how do you like yours?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'd say it's just about impossible to date, from stamping, etc. A bill of original sale would be I think the way to precisely date these 2nd's pipes.
That is a beauty and a better grain than typically found on Everyman pipes. Enjoy!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
@ejames: Yes, I saw your thread! Something that I found interesting is the placement of the stampings. In your pictures, it appears that the "The Everyman London Pipe" appears to be on the top of the shank. Was that the case? By contrast, this pipe has that stamping is on the side, in line with the inlays on the stem.

@ejames: Some six years later, how do you like yours?
Wow,six years ? Didn't realize it was that far back ! The pipe I worked on belonged to a friend. He wanted it rusticated and an "Ajustomatic" installed. I believe he still has the pipe. These pics were taken before I started working on it.
His pipe had stampings on both the top and bottom of the shank. On top it has "The Everyman (over) London Pipe.

On the Bottom it is stamped "Made in England By Comoy's" 601.

seans-comoy-everyman-2011-12-21-003-1280x960-1280x9601-600x450.jpg

seans-comoy-everyman-2011-12-21-004-1280x960-600x450.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
What a great shape, or especially that rendition of the shape, with a lot of style and class in a sitter. The grain and especially the birdseye on the bottom really rings. Some of the seconds on pipes are all you'd want. Basket pipes, seconds, and house pipes sometimes really exceed their billing.

Jan 8, 2017
Pacific Northwest
@ejames: I'm going to guess / infer / extrapolate / SWAG that due to the additional complexity of the stamps on this 601 that it is likely an earlier rendition. The thought being that they would have found more efficient means of stamping the shank (rather than one each side). Moreover, seeing that it is a "second" line for Comoy they will want to keep their production costs down. Having said all of that...of course, it is convenient that this is what I want to be true.
@mso489: Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I honestly don't have a lot of sitters. I, however, love their practicality.
Thank you all for chiming in!

Status
Not open for further replies.