PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
Got an order from Tobaccopipes.com a few days ago.

Besides my usual tins of sweet aromatics, such a Cult Blood Moon, and a tin of Peterson's St.
Patrick's Day, I picked up an assortment of VaPer's. They are Comoy's cask #7, C&D Bayou
morning, and C&D Autumn Evening. So far, I'm liking Cask #7 the most. It seems to have the best
balance of Perique. It looks and smokes a lot like bulls eye flakes. Starting out, the virginia comes
though strong, with the perique gently coming in later. I found the 25% Perique in Bayou Morning
to be a little to much for my liking, that may change over time, but still a good tasting blend. What
else have you tried that is comparable to these two? What are your favorite VaPers?

Good post Gnome.

For me, it's not the amount of perique in Bayou Morning, because I have smoked 50% perique blends and even straight perique for leisure. What I don't like about it is C&D's Virginias. It's like the lowest quality flue cured ever, or maybe even sun cured. It's just harsh on my whole mouth. There are a few C&D Virginia blends that I can tolerate, but I stick to smoking what they do best, and that's their burleys.
Cask #7 is good stuff, but for the money, I stick to LBF.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
"What I don't like about it is C&D's Virginias."
Never thought about this, and you may be on to something, but how do you explain something like these straight-up Virginia blends from C&D:
G. L. Pease: Union Square 2oz

Product Number: 003-029-0065
A blended, sliced cake of high-grade flue cured leaf, from beautiful, sweet brights to deep, earthy reds, without the added sugars and flavourings common to many Virginia flakes. It's rich on the palate, evolving in layers with the clean, natural sweetness of pure tobaccos. It offers a pleasant room note, and a delightful finish. For those seeking the pure Virginia experience, try Pease's Union Square.
Cornell & Diehl: Opening Night 2oz

Product Number: 003-016-0108
Opening night is a delicious blend of Red and Bright Virginias pressed to perfection from Cornell and Diehl.
Both of these are highly rated/regarded. I like them both, a lot.

Like I said, there are some that I can tolerate to almost enjoy. Sunday Picnic is one, with it's use of orientals. Briar Fox is another, but is has a substantial dose of burley.
As for Greg Pease's Virginias... I really like the ones that have a touch of what Greg is known for, although I didn't know it at the time, I prefer his blends that have a hint of latakia, and at the time, I hated latakia. Not to disparage the Lord of Latakia, but I have just not been a fan of his new Virginias. I realize that some guys have gone monkey nuts for these new Virginias by him, but I think my tastes are more to the McClelland and European uses of Virginas. I love C&D burleys and GLP has me smoking latakia that I used to hate, but my taste buds are just not geared to their Virginias.

Greg, if you're watching, I'm sorry. I do wonder what he could do with Virginas in a McClelland wonderland to play in. :puffy:

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I am with you on McClelland. Tudor Castle is the ne plus ultra in my book. Also big fan of Matured Virginia No.24. Two sublime Virginia blends. And I have laid-up some Sunday Picnic as well as the other C&D Virginia blends I mentioned.

gnome

Lurker
Feb 6, 2016
Cosmic...I have never put two & two together before, but I think you are absolutely right! When I look back on it the C&D virginias all seem a little harsh. Has anyone tried their Yorktown mixture? I think McCelland probably has the best line of virginias overall.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
St. James woods by mcClellend's is probably my all time favorite VaPer, I just cracked a tin and it's from 2011, I let it breathe for about 2 weeks after before smoking it, you can pretty much smell the difference 2 weeks makes from popping the tin. There was no tangy smell at first, now there is

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Cask #7 is a sleeper, maybe the best value in the VaPer genre. I'm also a fan of Cask #11 which is a delicious Latakia blend IMHO.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
There's speculation comoy's is just tinned Peter Stokkebye bulk, like how LBF is Davidoff medallions.

Status
Not open for further replies.