PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This chubby Comoys is going to my future son-in-law as his Christmas pipe. I did a write-up on the restoration on the Reborn Pipes Blog:
http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/2013/11/02/comoys-rhodesian-restoration/
Here's a few before & after shots:
comoys_b1057_before.jpg

comoys_b1057_before-1.jpg

comoys_b1057_finished.jpg

comoys_b1057_finished-1.jpg

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Al, he is a lucky young man. I wish I'd had a father-in-law like you, but he'd be a nonagenarian by now! It is a lovely pipe, restored to perfection.
It's good to see that you, like me, are an afficionado of English pipes. I have 6 Comoy's, including a couple of Blue Ribands and an Edwardian silver mounted pipe. I love them all.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Al, you find the best Comoy's and that shape is awesome. The resoration came out beautiful. Off topic....I have a Cadogan era Comoy that came in a double decker bus tin, also had a lighter/polishing cloth/tobacco bag. The pipe says I.D.B. under Comoy's, what does that mean? Any guess as to the year made? It was NOS according to the shop.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
What's the reason for going back to bare wood in the bowl?

rmason

Jan 27, 2013
Beautiful work Al, your future son-in-law is a very lucky man.

~Ron

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Beautiful job, Al!
I have a 1983 Christmas Comoy on it's way back from Walkers. All I had done was an ozone treatment, and I was having second thoughts about not having the stem done as well until I saw your restoration. Thanks for the inspiration.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The pipe says I.D.B. under Comoy's, what does that mean? Any guess as to the year made? It was NOS according to the shop.
I'm sorry but no clue on that stamp, perhaps a shop stamp
What's the reason for going back to bare wood in the bowl?
The wood on top of the bowl was almost unsmoked. It will be much like breaking in a new pipe.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Well done, Al! I bet you guys have a lovely Christmas Day smoke as he works on building up cake in that lovely Rhodesian.
-- Pat

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I have a 1983 Christmas Comoy on it's way back from Walkers. All I had done was an ozone treatment, and I was having second thoughts about not having the stem done as well until I saw your restoration. Thanks for the inspiration.
I bought one of these unsmoked at Chicago several years back. I smoke it often. It's a fine pipe, and the cut is just about perfect for a bent bulldog.

Status
Not open for further replies.