PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnarlybriar

Might Stick Around
Jun 11, 2009
Chesterfield, VA
I lusted after a pipe that Great Estates Pipes (on eBay) recently had at auction - a Comoy Royal Comoy shape 80 - a straight regular bulldog with taper stem - which was somewhat longer and larger than the typical 80 and a superbly appealing pipe. (I would like to insert a picture, but haven't been too successful with that). The shape very much intrigued me, and the length (about 6.3") x 2" tall bowl.

I was just wondering if someone here outbid me (and others) and won it? if so, I'd sure like to talk you out of it!
I normally go for squat bulldogs (Rhodesian, thank you Dunhill), but this one was super appealing to me and I can't seem to reason it out of my mind.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, that went a lot higher than I would have expected.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MINT-1930s-Comoys-ROYAL-COMOY-BIG-BULLDOG-English-Estate-Pipe-360-FLAME-GRAIN/362388889998?hash=item54600fa18e:g:rcQAAOSwXSRbTpqH
s-l1600.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can see that would be a heart throb. I'm not sure how that bit would feel, but the design is lithe and handsome, and the grain superb .

doctorbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Grand Ledge, Michigan
The price doesn't surprise me. Excellent condition ROYAL COMOYS, *from the appropriate era* have equalized with BLUE RIBAND prices over the last several years. I am regularly seeing $300-400 for outstanding examples.
As I have said before, early ROYAL COMOYS are every bit of the pipe that the later BLUE RIBAND pipes were, and are now recognized as such by the collector market. The first, and only, time I went to Chicago I was offered five hundred for my shape 43 by a Comoy collector. I was blown away.
Doc

bluto

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2018
Its been my experience , prices have gone up on eBay. There’s lots of pipes listed , but anything decent usually slips out of my bidding range .
I was lucky to pick up a few good ones early on which I can use , almost new Peterson , a few vintage French pipes, popularity seems to have come on practically overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.