PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ajsnow93

Might Stick Around
Mar 16, 2021
Larisa, Thessaly, Greece
Wanted just a quick tackle on how all of you commute or just simply take walk with your pipe. Since I've always been a "home smoker", and also I rely a lot on the means of transportation to go everywhere, I always had the thought of how do you light, if you put it in a bag or in the pocket. Whatever you want to share, just your story how you do it and if something works good for you.
Thanks to all of you!

Reactions: kg.legat0

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I second the pre-load approach - also, I have been taking more time to stop at the end of the driveway and light my pipe before getting a move on. Even if I let it out for a few minutes during the ride, it's a lot easier to light back up after the first few minutes - especially with flakes, imo!

In the car itself, I keep a small box with tamper, cleaners, lighter on the passenger seat during the commute - I can grab stuff as needed by feel and don't need to look when tamping/using a pipe cleaner. Has worked like a charm for years. Plastic toothpaste travel carrier tubes make great pipe cleaner holders for travel!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
My phalanges are my tampers. I sometimes pull over to the side or, into a lot to reload and light. But, smoking while driving can be problematic, vehicle control is the thing uppermost in my mind. Hot or, cold I usually have a pipe clenched loosely when driving. Sometimes though, a cigarette is just the right thing or even, a De Nobili will help hold my nicotine level at the desired level I'm an eclectic user of tobacco.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
If I am driving, I am smoking. Unless someone else is in the car. I have a car Pipe Ashtray from the Pipery which has been a lifesaver since it holds the tamper, pipe and ash tray all in the cup holder. Pipe cleaners are sticking out of the center console for easy access.

All my windows are open as well and AC is off. Adjustment of the driverside window helps with the wind blowing ash. I ash often as well.

Haven’t tried walking around in public with a pipe. Never a good oppurtunity.

9B7A252D-0DC1-48A0-B1EA-A142DCB0F193.jpeg

Bullmoose

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
Cincinnati, Ohio
I too smoke on the commute, usually to work early in the a.m. but keep a little extra tobacco in my pouch for the drive home. My absolute favorite time of year is driving to work in the dark (I leave around 5:15am) in the fall when it first gets crisp and cool outside and have a bowl burning with the windows cracked in my truck to let the cool air in. Such a special time of year.

Unfortunately, I usually have work calls or personal calls to catch up on so I rarely get a bowl on the way home. I pre-load a pipe in the morning, pack it in my leather two-pipe zip up pouch, with my zippo, tamper, pipe cleaners, extra matches. Pre-loading is a great practice and takes the guesswork out of it.

Bullmoose

Lurker
Feb 15, 2023
Cincinnati, Ohio
While I understand why most preload a pipe for a commute, I really enjoy sitting in the truck after work and loading my pipe without distraction of driving and being able to relax without interruption. It is a short 1-2 minutes where I let the stress of work dissipate.
I could probably take a lesson from you in this. I need more opportunities to slow down in my day. I may do this next week and see how it goes.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
If I am driving, I am smoking. Unless someone else is in the car. I have a car Pipe Ashtray from the Pipery which has been a lifesaver since it holds the tamper, pipe and ash tray all in the cup holder. Pipe cleaners are sticking out of the center console for easy access.

All my windows are open as well and AC is off. Adjustment of the driverside window helps with the wind blowing ash. I ash often as well.

Haven’t tried walking around in public with a pipe. Never a good oppurtunity.

View attachment 203109
When I smoked in my car, it was cigarettes. The pipe ashtray would have been clutch.

I used empty, plastic "to go" take out cups with some liquid as an ashtray. Most ideal, especially with a lid to avoid spillage in certain situations.

I've known and heard of people getting littering tickets for improper butt disposal. Never was an issue with me.

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I have a 15-20 minute commute and smoke a codger blend every day. My current rotation of Carter Hall, PA, and EGR burn effortlessly, and that timeframe requires no tamping or relights. Half the bowl to the office and half the bowl home. I will say that car pipe ashtray is pretty enticing.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I once had a busy body call me out for smoking is a public park. Screw em! I just kept puffin. puffy
it's funny I've had some people approach me about the pipe and I think oh it's gonna be the time, and every time it's a story about grandpa or just how cool pipes are.
I walk to and from work part way bus the rest. I either prepack the pipes I want to smoke or bring a pouch with the tobacco and just load up when ready to go. The pouch acutually keeps the tobacco in much better shape then I thought it would. Even after a few days. But pre pack and wind cap does the trick.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
The vast majority of the time, I smoke at home. It's a thing I do while relaxing, not something I do on the go.
If I do take a pipe with me, it's when I go on a walk through the woods, in which case I have a small Crown Royal bag with a Missouri Pride cob, pipe nail, Bic, and a few pipe cleaners in it. I throw a pouch of leaf in there and I'm ready to go. It's nice to sit by the creek and have a bowl.