PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm so over-stimulated by a wall of pipes in a shop that I doubt I'd ever need to commission a pipe to my specifications. But I have fantasized about doing so, with a lot of input, drawings, photos, and brainstorming sessions with the carver, before letting go and having him/her do their work. Have those who do commissions had a lot of input or just given basic specifications and relied on the carver? It seems like both approaches could work, depending on the carver and the customer. Have results exceeded your expectations or been disappointing, or maybe a commissioned pipe grew on you?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
MSO, the only commissions I have done were all with Rad Davis. I would give him some basic dimensions and then the shape of the pipe I wanted. Every time I was very pleased with what he came up with. He also never took a deposit as he was confident that I would love what he made.

briarblues

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2017
MSO, I have had a few pipes commissioned. For me, I have offered the carver the length, weight, and chamber sizes, and then suggested a style, and left the rest to them. ie. Last pipe from Ryan Alden .. 5 - 5.5". 50 grams or less. Something straight, with a Scandinavian flavor. I was sent a stunning, sand blast Danish Brandy, saddle stem with horn application.
Regards

Michael J. Glukler

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A carver whose work you know and deeply admire probably deserves free reign. It's like thoroughbreds that know how to race and the jockey just needs to stay aboard. 'Don't need to touch them with the crop, they know more than the jockey and simply want to lead the pack. A few carvers might savor the interaction and want to use the customers ideas and energy, but carvers like most artists want their head. Let them out of the gate and they'll go for the win. They know how.

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
As an artist that works primarily off the commission model, I can say the best balance is saying what your looking for and a few brainstorm sessions with the artist so make sure you're happy with the direction, but the more creative reign you give on the little details, the better the end product will be. I routinely go above and beyond on work where I have some free reign and creative input on the overall design.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
My first commission with Bruce Weaver was very specific, but after seeing his work on that one, I would just call him each year and say, "Surprise me".

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I have never had a pipe comissioned, but I look at it like getting a new car built to order (also haven't done that). I'd want my input to certain things, like finish and bowl size, a rough shape, but I'd leave the details to the professionals. I don't need to watch over someone's shoulders in Wolfsburg as they fasten every bolt.
In my past life when I managed a cookie bakery, my favorite customers were the ones who would leave the details to my discretion. It was a statement of trust. I'd do the same for any carved working on my pipe.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have wondered this myself. There was a wonderful craggy Cutty that someone posted. I was noodling the idea of finding a carver to do a really craggy laid back Cutty. Such a distinct and cool shape.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I think the most successful commissions come from just the right amount of interaction between carver and client.
From the client's point of view, they should seek a carver whose work they like the look of, someone who does the kind of thing they are looking for. Someone who makes only rusticated seahorse shapes should maybe not top the list if you are looking for a smooth billiard, and vice versa. They should also have a good idea of size, things like stem material, the basic details of the pipe. Also trying to commission a 200 dollar pipe from a guy who makes 800 dollar pipes is an insult - conversely asking a guy who does 200 dollar pipes for a 500 dollar pipe is going to lead to frustration for both. Hit the mark with who you ask to make your pipe.
From the carver's point of view, it's no problem to take on custom pipes as long as the customer isn't TOO fussy - I'm talking about the guy who provides every dimension and angle, every specification of chamber size and shape and how they want the button (with 25 pictures of buttons on other pipes). That's ridiculous and a guy might wind up starting the pipe 5 times if the briar isn't just right or whatever... it's no fun. The best pipes are not made this way, the best pipes come out when the carver is sensitive to the briar and enough flexibility is available to bring out a pipe VERY LIKE what the customer wants. But if a Canadian that is 6 1/4" long is going to be rejected because the customer has a personal maximum of 6 3/16", that customer is a pain in the ass.
So it's up to both the customer and the carver to make a plan, whether that plan is a gold leafed blowfish or a rusticated billiard, and the carver has to execute the plan and the customer has to be willing to live with SOME perceived deviation from it.
Mostly it's lots of fun for both.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I think the most successful commissions come from just the right amount of interaction between carver and client.
Even with the freedom I gave Bruce with my commissions, he would send me constant updates on the progress, and we would throw ideas back and forth over the phone. Could not be happier with each one. Even with total freedom he still kept me in the loop during the development process and instead of just being a client, he made the process feel like it was a collaboration. Very satisfying process and end results. Also made a very good friend in the process.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
The whole point of a commission is to get what you want. If you want the carver to cut wild, just buy a pipe when you find one available that jives with you. No hassle for the pipemaker and you won’t be disappointed when a cherrywood shows up on your door when you didn’t even know you really wanted a brandy.
Hopefully, you’re honest with yourself and know what you want. Start there then find a carver who delivers pipes that match your vision and realistic expectations. Then give him/her the loose measurements and finishing details. You can be specific, if you have specifics wrt bowl size, but it’s best to offer a range for the rest of the measurements unless you are looking for a pipe clone.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think I've avoided commissions precisely because I don't want to get in the way. I'd rather look at (if possible...) an array of what a carver has done and find the one that speaks to me, but is entirely from the carver's inspiration. Still, a commission isn't an adventure I'd categorically avoid. Obviously, some of you have been completely satisfied.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017

Great quote from Sasquatch!
I agree with this statement. I have done commissions in the past and I'm waiting on one now. I like to give general specifics of what I want and then wait until it arrives with a surprise upon opening the box. That is part of the charm of this type of transaction.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Sasquatch's remark rocks. Let it echo against Prima Donna Carvers and Entitled Clients alike: some communication and trust are so important and need to be reasonably balanced. When I commissioned a pipe late last year, I looked at samples of the carver's work on his site and requested a pipe 'like' a dublin shape that I found very appealing. He asked me for some specifications as to length, staining and stem material and stem applications, which of course I answered but tentatively, wanting to trust the carver 'to make it well' with his artistic sense (as I chose him because I liked his work). Hence, as Sasquatch remarked already, as a client, it is imperative to trust the aesthetic sense evident in the prior work of the carver.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I’ve had 3 commissions thus far made by 3 different makers who had either not used the material or made the shape prior, first was an Eskimo Shape from Strawberrywood by Scottie Piersel, all I asked for was what I just stated leaving her to move forward with that and some ballpark bowl chamber dimensions, again ballpark, pipe ended up wonderful.
Second was from Rad Davis who I don’t recall having seen a Morta pipe by, I ran my idea of a Squashed Tomato with an old Amber colored stem, one that had aged to almost maple syrup color, again the though with some ballpark bowl dimensions and I once agai Pan received a lovely pipe.
The last was from Chris Askwith who I thought made a Drip Wax pipe but was very mistaken but Chris being the gentleman that he is said he’d give it a shot so once again, Shape, stem and ballpark bowl dimensions, what I got was a Drip Wax like none I ever saw and a testament two the artistry of Chris Askwith. It’s a canted Poker with a Drip Wax similar to what one would see were the candle relit over several days then blown out, my idea was that in the old days a candle was mounted to the table by allowing some wax to melt then setting the bottom into the molten wax and allowing it to cool. Often the ships were in low water as they held for the night so that when one looked at the candle it wasn’t necessarily upright, Chris captured this look to a T and the aged amber stem was icing on the proverbial cake. I’ve had others done by folks who made the shape using the material I wanted as part of their business to them I only gave ballpark bowl dimensions and have been pleased with every one of these commissioned pipes.

banjo

mwsmoker

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2017
Mark Tinsky and I like the same tobacco, the same pipe shapes (except I don’t do bent), the same general size, etc. I asked for a straight grain billiard, he carved it. I asked for a bulldog, he carved it. Etc.

I just show my favorite pipemakers those pesky expensive $10,000 pipes and beg them to make them for me in a price range I can afford :rofl: :rofl: :nana: :puffpipe: (relax tis a joke)
You can either go nuts and micromanage each aspect, or just converse with them about what you like. Sending photos also helps. Thw first commissioned pipe I got was from Rick Black, his signature cherrywood shape. The second commissioned pipe I had was from Clark Layton, his famous tri-anglican shape. All I asked was to make two stems for me and everything else I left it on him.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.