PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
I arranged and prepaid for a custom pipe commission. I had sent the maker a picture of one of his previous pipes and wanted one similar. Later he sent me a picture of the shaped stummel. It looks well executed and I know I can't expect it to be identical, but the shape is a bit off from the pic I sent and what I was hoping for. It's not a huge difference, but in my mind bordering on a different shape. I'm not sure when a pipe maker sends a pic of the shaped stummel, if that's an invitation for input/ approval, or just showing progress as a courteousy.

He clearly does great work and seems like a great guy.
Is it poor form/ rude to tell him that it's not quite the shape I want? Or is it that I have to let an artist do his thing, and what I should expect is his interpretation, without me nitpicking about subtle shape changes? I know it's probably too late anyway, but just curious what the etiquette/ expectation is on this.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
prepaid for a custom pipe commission.
Never prepay.

Is it poor form/ rude to tell him that it's not quite the shape I want
Nope, it's your money.

Or is it that I have to let an artist do his thing, and what I should expect is his interpretation
Only if you requested something in the ballpark. If you and the carver agreed on something specific, that's what you should get.

For my first commission I asked for this shape.
004-009-9965.jpg

With this shape stem made of ebonite and cumberland.
images.jpeg-56.jpg

And got this.
img_20171019_0702021-337x600-1.jpg

alwayslit

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2018
DC/Tampa
  • Love
Reactions: Chasing Embers

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tell him that shape is not what you were expecting. If he feels like he cannot make what you want ask for your money back. Also never put up a dime on a commission. If the carver insists on a deposit, take your business elsewhere. If a carver needs a deposit it means he doesn't trust his work. Any carver worth anything will never ask for a deposit.
Never settle for something you did not discuss with the carver.

geopiper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Most carvers will try to get as close as possible to the shape you want but caveat it with two things: (1) briar is a natural material and the characteristics of the block may have an influence on the final product appearance, and (2) if you don't like what they make, say so, and they can always sell it to someone else and try to make you another pipe closer to exactly what you want.

You have to be slightly flexible, but in the end you decide if you like their final product.

ron123

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 28, 2015
Park Ridge, IL
I've gotten away from commissions almost 100% because of these dilemmas. At most, going forward, I'd say to tell carver X when he has another one (whatever shape/whatever carver), if they will keep you in mind and let you know. You now have avoided committing to it. If he eventually sends a pic and you don't like it, you can pass. You might never get what you want from carver X, but too often with commissions I haven't gotten what I had hoped for, but I always have gone through with the purchase to avoid causing hard feelings.

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
Did you agree to any specific terms beforehand by chance?
I sent a picture of one of his previous pipes and said I want a pipe like that with the same shape. Probably my fault for not saying "as close to that as you can do." But like Hawkeye said, it could be that the pic is just how it looks at THAT stage. I didn't know prepaying wasn't standard, good to know.

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
... but too often with commissions I haven't gotten what I had hoped for, but I always have gone through with the purchase to avoid causing hard feelings.
Yeah, I know these artisans work hard and aren't getting rich, so I hesitate to ask for a redo.

JohnMosesBrowning

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2018
Southeast Michigan
I have nothing to contribute, but wanted to say this is a great question and conversation. I've thought about commissioning a pipe from a carver I like and have had these exact same thoughts, questions, and hesitations. I don't recall seeing a similar thread recently. So...thank you!

Reactions: Bushido

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
The ONLY commission situation that consistently works out for both the carver and the customer are of the, "I'd like a billiard like the one you made for XYZ last month, just dark brown instead of natural" sort.

Or sandblasted instead of smooth.

Or with a saddle stem instead of a tapered one.

Etc.

Specific enough to be "ordered", but general enough that the transaction doesn't devolve into a swamp of debatable details.

Regarding the "Make me one of these!" scenario---meaning exactly COPY an existing pipe---a more direct path to creating two unhappy people is difficult to imagine.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Not exactly to the point of the OP but close.

I was buying knives some years ago and saw some I really liked. I contacted the knife maker and asked if he could make me one in a specific shape - one of HIS previous knives.
He became rather upset and told me that I was constraining his artistic freedom by asking him to make a specific knife and specifying what wood I wanted for the handles.

I thanked him politely and never contacted him again

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
The ONLY commission situation that consistently works out for both the carver and the customer are of the, "I'd like a billiard like the one you made for XYZ last month, just dark brown instead of natural" sort.

Or sandblasted instead of smooth.

Or with a saddle stem instead of a tapered one.

Etc.

Specific enough to be "ordered", but general enough that the transaction doesn't devolve into a swamp of debatable details.

Regarding the "Make me one of these!" scenario---meaning exactly COPY an existing pipe---a more direct path to creating two unhappy people is difficult to imagine.
Agreed. Expecting an exact copy of something is bound to leave someone unsatisfied. That's what factories are for.

Reactions: anotherbob

Bushido

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2020
Where I think it's tough is if you ask for a "billiard like the one you made for xyz," but it ends up different enough that it's bordering on being more of maybe an apple or pot.

• Sad
Reactions: OzPiper
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Tell him that shape is not what you were expecting. If he feels like he cannot make what you want ask for your money back. Also never put up a dime on a commission. If the carver insists on a deposit, take your business elsewhere. If a carver needs a deposit it means he doesn't trust his work. Any carver worth anything will never ask for a deposit.
Never settle for something you did not discuss with the carver.
This.