PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I always say that if you can cook you can blend. If you cant go in the kitchen and make a good sauce from scratch you probably can only blend something good from a recipe or by accident.

Reactions: MattRVA and Mike N

Mike N

Can't Leave
Aug 3, 2023
I always say that if you can cook you can blend. If you cant go in the kitchen and make a good sauce from scratch you probably can only blend something good from a recipe or by accident.
I’m afraid that the Food Network has made us all believe we are master chefs, now. But I agree with you in theory.

• Haha
Reactions: Sigmund

Copperhead

Lurker
Jun 4, 2024
Last night I mixed 1792 flake with PS navy flake, 1:1 in my clay pipe.

Wasn't bad, and I may try it again...but I usually don't blend unless others recommend something.

I blended up a few jars of the knock-off hobbits weed a few months ago, interested in trying that around Christmas, want to let it sit for a while longer.

I have a few jars of BCA and 1Q, I've always liked that blend....

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com

Wasn't bad, and I may try it again...but I usually don't blend unless others recommend something.

I blended up a few jars of the knock-off hobbits weed a few months ago, interested in trying that around Christmas, want to let it sit for a while longer.

@Copperhead I was smoking 1792 Flake in my clay pipe at the Battle of Nantwich event last January; see if you can spot me:
I'll have to try mixing a "Clay King" clay pipe blend:)

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I’m afraid that the Food Network has made us all believe we are master chefs, now. But I agree with you in theory.
True but Ive been in front of a stove from the time I could see over it. There wasn’t a food network then. There were three channels. One wasn’t entirely clear.

Reactions: Mike N

dingdong

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 2, 2024
Jakarta, Indonesia
SG BBF (50%) + Ashton Artisan - 30% and condiments of Saint Espresso and ES Family Reserve (10% each)..need some time for it to mature, at least few days puffy puffy puffy
WhatsApp Image 2024-09-20 at 12.19.02.jpeg

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2024
South Bend, Indiana
blog.hallenius.org

Tell me more about this hobbit’s weed blend?

Copperhead

Lurker
Jun 4, 2024
Tell me more about this hobbit’s weed blend?
This is what I blended back in June:

1/2 Lane BCA, 1/4 Lane Very Cherry, 1/4 Sutliff 1m Vanilla

There are slight variations on the recipe using different manufacturers, but this is the gist of it.

Reactions: khiddy

InWithBothFeet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2024
Richmond, KY
I found myself with several english blends and to make things simpler, just dropped them into a big bowl, mixed them thoroughly and put them into a quart mason jar. It's C&D Pirate Kake, PS English Oriental Supreme and Amphora English blend. The one I didn't add in was the Lane HGL since it's kind of an English aromatic... or would that be an aromatic with a latakia component.

I love to smoke aromatics occasionally but find them lacking in Nicotine.

On the other hand I sometimes find raw Rustica leaf or even Macbaren Rustica a bit acrid.

Mix the two and it is a wonderful sweet smoke with a lot of tobacco body and Nicotine. I used to do with Five Brothers as well, but I don’t have Five Brothers any more in my cellar

Two wonderful such mix

1. Sutliff Crème Brûlée with shredded whole leaf wild Rustica (1:1)
2. Rattray’s Exotic Passion with Macbaren HH Rustica (1:1) - I named it Rustic Passion

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Sometimes I’ll fold up a sliver of Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flake with Mac Baren HH Burley Flake. That little bit of vanilla really highlights the dry cocoa flavor in the burley.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I’ve been smoking pipes long enough to realize I’m not a tobacconist and try to stay in my lane when it comes to combing blends I like on their own. It seldom works.

But tonight I brought out a jar of Milan’s Our London Dock for my evening walk. When I went to dump some in the tobacco tray, I realized I still had about half a bowl left of the Davidoff Flake I had smoked this afternoon. Because I had already put the Davidoff jar away, I mixed the two to fill up my pipe. About one minute in, I was enjoying the best smoke I’ve had all year. Let’s just say I may have stumbled my way into something I really like. Now, I was smoking one of my favorite pipes, a lightweight Reid Robertson billiard with a perfect button, but it was more than that it seemed.

Anyone else successfully combine blends, and if so, what are they? Thanks.

Mike
yeah and the outcome is very dualistic. I either have an experience like the one you describe above or it's terrible. Though sometimes the weirdest surprise flavors pop out.

Reactions: Mike N

Pipke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 3, 2024
Chardon, Ohio. USA
French men are required to be competent sauciers. This is not so in America.

BingBong

Lifer
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Greg Pease is a kitchen wizard for a living, isn't he? The tobacco thing is his hobby. Or something like that.