PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I might have to take Friday off just so I can spend the day at Pipes and Pleasures... The people there are a hoot and a blast to be around. That said, be warned about Doc. He's got a sharp wit, and an even sharper wit.

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
Am I the only one who is as giddy as a school boy? Maybe it's because it's my first show, but I'm just so excited.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
So another Columbus show has come and gone and here are my thoughts:
There seemed to be fewer exhibitors this year. Carvers like Rad Davis, Brian Ruthenberg, and Michael Parks (who have attended in the past) were conspicuously absent. However, Ian Walker (Northern Briars), Joe Nelson (Old Nellie), Russ Cook, Bob Oakley, Lee Von Erck, Bill Shalosky, Michael Linder, Bob Swanson (Perry White), Tim West, Thomas James, and others were there with some amazing pipes. There were also several major retailers, among them Pipes2Smoke , Ye Olde Pipe and Tobacco, Pipe Tart, Steve Monjure, Smokers Haven, McCrainies, Hearth and Home, Cornell & Diehl, and Hermit Tobacco. There were also lots of private collectors with a TONS of estate pipes, so there was something for everyone.
I thought the prices were VERY good, especially on tobacco. I picked up almost twenty tins averaging less than $10 each. Most carvers also seemed to be willing to strike a good deal on their pipes. I picked up pipes from Joe Nelson, Russ Cook and a Perry White from Pipes2Smoke and all made me deals I couldn’t pass up (I’ll post pictures if I ever figure out how). But despite this, there were a LOT of pipes left unsold and I overheard several exhibitors lamenting the poor turnout and resulting poor sales. I even noticed a few people packing up their tables and leaving early, not because they were sold out but because they were tired and frustrated with the poor sales. The upside of having fewer exhibitors were the much wider aisles, so maneuvering through the show was a breeze! There was also more time and space to talk with each exhibitor which is always fun.
So what was the root cause of low sales/ fewer exhibitors/ poor turnout? My guess is the venue. The Ramada hotel has gone way, WAY downhill over the years. The rooms are not clean and are in disrepair, the basement exhibition space looks terrible, with collapsing ceiling tiles, water stains running down the walls, and dirty carpet, and the neighborhood does not seem safe. It’s just not a place you would WANT to go into. In my opinion, the organizers DESPERATELY need to find a new venue. A cleaner, safer, fresher environment will, I think, bring more people, which will bring more exhibitors, which will result in more sales. And though I appreciate the free admission to the show, a nominal entry fee ($5 or $10) might allow NASPC to afford an outdoor smoking/hospitality tent, which would bring more people, exhibitors, etc.
Like I said, these are just my opinions, but I do think it’s obvious that SOMETHING must change in order for the Columbus show to survive and grow.

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
@bigvan, Thanks so much for your show report its always nice to know what transpired. I'm sure they could use a new venue from your description and hopefully that will happen. But I am still disappointed that I couldn't make the show. It's always great to be at a pipe show, see old friends and make new ones. Glad you scored on some great pipes and tobacco bargains.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Sounds like I missed a great show. Maybe next year. Travel expense may have had something to do with the low vendor turnout. I know that's part of what held me back.

porshcigar

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Naperville
Columbus was a great show. Irene the hurricane kept a number of exhibitors and pipe collectors from attending. I got all the tobacco I was looking for and there was so much to choose from I could not have asked for more.
All of us should help support Columbus by joining NASPC. The best thing about membership is the newsletter. If you are not a member, join today. Getting the newsletter is worth far more than the cost of membership because you are also supporting one of the great clubs and pipes shows of America. Craig

misterrogers

Can't Leave
May 16, 2011
Ohio
I enjoyed myself greatly. It was fun, seeing all the pipes, people and tobacco. So many pipes, and so little money. Sadly, being a poor college student, most pipes remained out of my price range, but it was fun talking to the carvers, admiring the workmenship.
I was able to grab two little pipes, and a fair amount of tobacco for the misses and me. She had a blast also. I plan on joining the NASPC as soon as the next paycheck comes in. I can only hope that next year, more people from here will be able to come.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I bumped this because I plan on attending the 2012 Show and bigvan gave a good rundown of how last year's show went. This year it is in Dublin, OH which to my knowledge is a bit of a nicer area. Anyone else plan on attending? The 25th of August is my eleventh wedding anniverasry as well so I think it will be a fun way to spend an afternoon. Bigvan, I'm guessing you are from the area, do you know anything about the hotel(Crown Plaza) its at this year? The wife and I may just call it a night there if the acommodations are decent. It will be my first show by the way.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
neither Columbus Crown Plaza is where you would want to spend your anniversary. (metro or north) If I was coming to town and wanted a nice weekend I would stay around Easton Town Center and make the drive to Metro Place which is pretty much in a huge complex of office buildings.
Easton Town Center

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I agree with Doc about the Easton Town Center. I stayed there last year and it's pretty sweet.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the best would be the Easton Hilton.. no need to drive Easton is in your front yard. There's a Tinder box with some nice tobacco and pipes then right next door is an Irish Pub that allows you to smoke on their patio down towards the smoke shop.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Confused the shit outta me at first!Thought,"How the hell did I miss it?'Okay fellas,I'm gonna be there this year for the BACCY FEST!Hope to meet some of ya..

ohiopuffer

Can't Leave
May 18, 2012
If the show is in Dublin I just might have to go this year I have never been to a pipe show.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
So, How much money does one need to enjoy themselves and bring home a couple of pipes and a decent amount of tobacco. Of course, this depends largely upon personal taste. Mine is satisfied by Savinelli, Peterson and the like. And do you pay tax at these events?

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If you're paying cash there's no tax. Some retailers will take credit cards and I'm not sure if they charge tax or not.
Regarding tobacco, a tin that will usually run me $14 at my local B&M will be $10 at the show. Some tins more, some less depending on your tastes.
How much money you need to bring is up to you. I will just say that there's SO much more to see than just Peterson and Savinelli (which can be found everywhere) I hope you'll keep an open mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.