PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I have recently purchased a Reverse Calabash Meer waxed with the yellow beeswax. I am wondering if anyone has any examples of how they can colour. ChasingEmbers has stated that his brown waxed meer is actually lightening instead of darkening, which is interesting. My guess is that perhaps it will darken eventually, but at an extremely slower rate. I guess only time will tell!

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have recently purchased a Reverse Calabash Meer waxed with the yellow beeswax. I am wondering if anyone has any examples of how they can colour. ChasingEmbers has stated that his brown waxed meer is actually lightening instead of darkening, which is interesting. My guess is that perhaps it will darken eventually, but at an extremely slower rate. I guess only time will tell!
You'll have to start keeping update pics on here! Cause I'd be interested to watch it as well!

Or like a warm water flush can get rid of the coloring of a white meer, what does it do to a purposely dark colored meer? Can you turn a dark yellow meer totally white? Inquiring minds and all....

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
You'll have to start keeping update pics on here! Cause I'd be interested to watch it as well!

Or like a warm water flush can get rid of the coloring of a white meer, what does it do to a purposely dark colored meer? Can you turn a dark yellow meer totally white? Inquiring minds and all....
I'll definately be posting update pics. Probably won't receive it for a few weeks to a month, but none the less, I'm very excited to see what happens. I'm going to have to amp up my smoking though, because at my rate it'll be a slooowww process, lol.

I guess the natural yellow waxed meers aren't too popular, compared to white.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
I’ve always wondered if a heat gun would melt off those colored waxes to a useful degree.

Sometimes it seems like there may be a dye involved with those pre-colored pipes but it’s hard to know for certain. The colors can be pretty intense.

Keep us posted.