PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Colourful pipes do exist in the market, and have for a long time. They aren’t the mainstay, but one doesn’t have to look too far to find them.

Look at the variation in colours of the Brylon pipes of the 70s (The Pipe, et al); and all the different colours of Falcons that were and are available.

Christmas pipes, St. Paddy’s pipes, Peterson always has a different colour running... Ardor, Savinelli, the Italians are never left out of a fashion show walk-off.

For artisan pieces look at the acrylic that Cooke casts for his stems (and some of his stains too) or the lacquer work of someone like Satou.

Colours are out there, for the pipe smoker who wants them.

— pruss

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
5718I tend toward traditional colors, and I assume the market directs this. However occasionally I make something for the rest. If I use color, I like an accent band on the stem, like this orange sparkly piece. However, here is a purple stain that I developed. There is no purple used, just the way I layered some more traditional stain colors.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have two green stain pipes and a variety of brighter stains running toward reddish and walnut, and a scattering of lighter and two swirled stems. But yes, most of my pipes go in the darker ranges of color, and many stems are black or at least dark. However, bright colored pipes and all-white ones have been around for decades, as well as leather covered. Various processes apply bright non-wood-like finishes. I think pipe buyers of all ages are partial toward traditional finishes as part of the pipe mystique. Smoking a pipe is enough of a statement without people wondering about dazzling colors, and since most pipes are smoked in private, there's no audience.

I can understand colorful stains and stems, but I am not going to load up on brightly colored pipes, maybe a few that attract me. But, what I will never buy is a pipe that has been painted white. White stems, will usually trigger me into a purchase, but a white painted stummel... nope. It is like they are trying to pass a hunk of briar off as a meerschaum, IMO.

Reactions: kurtbob and gervais

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I am attracted to smooth glossy, swirling briar grain in the traditional stain colours. No colourful pipes for me. Some people would probably like them

Reactions: kurtbob

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I like to look at bright-colored pipes, but I don't think I'd like smoking them. I feel kind of the same about pipes with a lot of metal bling on them. It just seems like a really bright-colored pipe would fatigue my eyes. Shoot, wearing bright socks is enough to effect my mood, and those are all the way down on my feet. Having something bright sticking right out of my face for hours on end just sounds like too much. Maybe some day I'll get some really loud pipes that aren't for smoking, just to brighten up the rack.

Reactions: kurtbob

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I'm with Pruss in that they do exist and are common, big ben, jeantet, nording, savinelli alligators, grabow color dukes. I think one reason that stands in their way is the breathing briar idea. If it is sealed up with a paint or finish it won't smoke well. I think there may not bea a great deal of proof that briar breathes but, a lot of smokers believe it and would shy away from colored pipes for that reason.

Reactions: pruss and JMcQ
Status
Not open for further replies.