PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
So this might seem like a little bit of an oddball question... Why don't pipes come in more colors? I understand that they are wood, and black and brown seem more traditional but it seems like small pops of color would be a little more popular. Is there a logical reason for this or are they just marketing towards the boring-old-man stereotype?

Thanks for your time.

Jimmy

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Peterson makes them in red, green, & blue. Only brown or black for me and the latter only when blasted or rusticated.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Novice pipe smokers frequently favor the wilder looks because they see so many pipes that are "brown and black and boring".
They are attracted to pipe smoking perhaps because they like the aesthetic of it or the aesthetic of standing out among your peers.

I think it takes time and experience to eventually appreciate and fall for the classic shapes and finishes. With time you learn to see the nuances and appreciate marques and makers.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I'm not exactly looking to stand out. I smoke in my backyard looking at the stars or reading a book. I fully appreciate the artistic value of showing off the wood and the grain, even the beauty and simplicity of a corn cob. Just curious why more colors weren't prevelant.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
There’s a lot of colorful pipes out there. Look around more on smokingpipes.com

But the answer to your question is supply and demand.

Reactions: kurtbob

donjgiles

Lifer
Apr 14, 2018
pipe-psychedelic-california-style_1_9cd8d8ab5bea11eb32732d70e9d45d96.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
The painfully obvious answer is: If there were a demand for pipes in colors ... there would be pipes in colors for sale. No market for such a product obviously. Maybe a small market for the boutique carver but, that's probably it.

Reactions: kurtbob

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I'm not exactly looking to stand out. I smoke in my backyard looking at the stars or reading a book. I fully appreciate the artistic value of showing off the wood and the grain, even the beauty and simplicity of a corn cob. Just curious why more colors weren't prevelant.
I think you kinda answered your own question really. I’m no psychologist but most pipe smokers I know (including myself) are more steeped in the tradition of those that came before us, the contemplative aspect and the ritual that goes into it not to mention the flavor and smell. If it smokes well and is pleasing to the eye of the owner......bonus! For most of us it’s a pastime of natural earth bound pleasures that come from the world we inhabit as we have done for hundreds of years???

Reactions: gervais

kurtbob

Lifer
Jul 9, 2019
SE Georgia
I think you kinda answered your own question really. I’m no psychologist but most pipe smokers I know (including myself) are more steeped in the tradition of those that came before us, the contemplative aspect and the ritual that goes into it not to mention the flavor and smell. If it smokes well and is pleasing to the eye of the owner......bonus! For most of us it’s a pastime of natural earth bound pleasures that come from the world we inhabit as we have done for hundreds of years???
Most pipe smokers I know aren’t exactly the “hey look at me” types

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
There are pipes of various colors out there and I own a couple of them. I usually prefer, I guess, a more "natural" look and color so mine look like stained wood. The dyed looking ones just look wrong and "unnatural" to me. The enameled looking ones just look cheap and like they'll chip easy.

Dusk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2019
Undah Da Sea
So this might seem like a little bit of an oddball question... Why don't pipes come in more colors? I understand that they are wood, and black and brown seem more traditional but it seems like small pops of color would be a little more popular. Is there a logical reason for this or are they just marketing towards the boring-old-man stereotype?

Thanks for your time.

Jimmy
Pipe smoking nowadays is a hard sell to the younger crowd and I don't believe that bright palettes would necessarily attract more people. My inner hipster tells me that some newbies are looking for that old world charm mixed with modern aesthetics which is a challenge to pin down without alienating an entire group. I actually started with pipes to get away from cigs so I gravitate more towards functional designs but I will still look for something I find aesthetically pleasing.

Occasionally there are makers that will challenge the norm, notably Vauen with some of their futurist or novelty offerings. Danish, French and Italian makers regularly create colorful pipes as I suppose they've already exhausted conventional designs and are looking to explore uncharted territory. At least I would think so since many of these companies have been in the business for over a century. Others are opting to take a more creative approach in hopes of carving a niche in the market.

There's also a fine line between tobacco pipes and glass pipes that most manufacturers want to steer clear of. Other than materials and sizing, the use of color is a typical way to distinguish between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.