PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

riptide

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
While I was at my local B&M I was shocked at the price of tins compared to what I pay online. When I asked the gentleman behind the counter what Colorado's tax was he told me 40% my jaw hit the floor I know that other states tax is higher but I did not expect that. So I can buy a tin for lest say 8 bucks online and pay around 5 to 6 in shipping I will still save around a Dollar. the average price for 7 seas at the B&M was 16 and some change plus sales tax.
Now I say I as surprised about this only because the Antis don't really push here or I just don't see it. I know Colorado is known as One of the fittest states in the U.S. But almost every where I look the are smoke shops people smoking cigars, and While driving around today I passed 3 cars where the driver where smoking pipes.
On the plus side I cant seem to find any Info that Colorado is planing on raising the tax. I guess what I am trying to say is that a High tax is not going to stop smoking here. The people Like to play hard and and enjoy the finer things in life. Welcome to Colorado You can't smoke inside a bar but no one is going to make you smoke 15 feet from the door ether. :puffy:
But a 40% tax makes my TAD put on the breaks when I want to buy all the tins I see. I think I lost my train of thought a Paragraph Back. :puffy:
Charles.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
Look on the bright side: it could be a lot worse. 8O
Washington state has 95% non-cigarette tax (pipe tobacco/cigars), $3.00/pack on cigarettes, and it is illegal (class C felony :!: ) to have tobacco shipped to you. Most online vendors will not ship to WA.
I'm sure that there are many countries will even higher tobacco taxes as well. :crazy:

juvat270

Aug 1, 2011
Which B&M did you go to? I've not found the prices here in CO to be much more than the online guys, with the exception of certain blends. MacBaren Plumcake comes to mind. But on the average most blends I've seen are just slightly more expensive than online (Like $1-$3 more).

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
this is crazy! I think we all need to watch the online purchase one day it might catch up to us. I had a friend who use to cross the state line for cigs well one day the good PA law man came with quite a hefty tax bill for unpaid taxs on her purchase. We are all responsible for are tax when we buy online I think we will be seeing more and more crackdowns on this in the future.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
Which B&M did you go to? I've not found the prices here in CO to be much more than the online guys, with the exception of certain blends. MacBaren Plumcake comes to mind. But on the average most blends I've seen are just slightly more expensive than online (Like $1-$3 more).
I went to stag. Now I will admit not all the tobacco is expensive some are only 2 to 3 dollars more but when you buy anything over 50grams it jumps big time. I wanted to try some 7seas at Stag it was 16 and some change online it was 8 and some change the shipping almost makes it cost the same so if I only want 1 tin I will go to My B&M if I want more than 1 tin I will buy online then the shipping is moot.

mcarnevale

Lurker
Nov 7, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO
I buy tins at Stag's. They are usually only 1 or 2 bucks more than online, plus no shipping and I get it now. AND I support a local small business. Worth the extra couple of bucks in my book.
EDIT: I don't know about the CO tax issue....like I said, only a couple of bucks more...so maybe other States have the same or close rate?

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I have found that most of the tobacco I buy is about the same as purchased online, unless I buy up to get free shipping. I don't usually buy larger than the 50 gram tins though. It seems like there are a lot of Colorado folks coming onto the forum, it might be fun to get together and talk pipes sometime.

riptide

Jul 27, 2010
Colorado
A get together would be fun. I just wanted to say Stag is by far my Favorite B&M and I shop there quit often and I will support a local Shop first before i shop online I was just surprised at the tax rate and the cost differences between A B&M and online.

Status
Not open for further replies.