PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Since you’re replacing the stem, why not request an orific bit? A competent repair person can easily accommodate that.
I have on several occasions. I have received back pipes with stems that resemble Xmas candy canes, urban camouflage to name a few examples. So I tend to be more a victim of 'Horror-fic' bits as opposed to 'Orific' bits!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Who is RonnieB? I haven’t heard of him until now.
Ronnie Bikascan of Night Owl Pipeworks was the go to guy for top collectors internationally for many years. He retired about 7-8 years ago, though I understand that he will once in a while still take on a restoration for a former client. The guy was an absolute magician and did completely invisible repairs on several of my pipes. Ronnie was also very generous with his knowledge and helped me a couple of times when I was addressing a difficult problem with a clean up.

George Dibos is absolutely in the same league as Ronnie, and from what I've seen, so is Ryan Alden.

The thing about these guys is that they do far more than clean up a pipe and make it look pretty. They repair any structural damage they can, sometimes leaving the pipe in better structural condition than it was when it was first made. In my book it takes a lot more skill to do what they do, at the level they do it, than it does to carve a pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Who is RonnieB? I haven’t heard of him until now.

Ronnie Bikascan of Night Owl Pipeworks was the go to guy for top collectors internationally for many years. He retired about 7-8 years ago, though I understand that he will once in a while still take on a restoration for a former client. The guy was an absolute magician and did completely invisible repairs on several of my pipes. Ronnie was also very generous with his knowledge and helped me a couple of times when I was addressing a difficult problem with a clean up.

George Dibos is absolutely in the same league as Ronnie, and from what I've seen, so is Ryan Alden.

The thing about these guys is that they do far more than clean up a pipe and make it look pretty. They repair any structural damage they can, sometimes leaving the pipe in better structural condition than it was when it was first made. In my book it takes a lot more skill to do what they do, at the level they do it, than it does to carve a pipe.
I never met him, but recall he was famous for his "bullet-proof" pipe repair. Here's a NASPC article on Ronnie. I think he used to be active on the old SmokersForums.uk board. Coincidentally, he used a car tire reference here.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I'd only ever pick up an unsmoked birth year Dunhill.

If I were into collecting pre-smoked vintage D's I'd almost prefer if it had a new stem by GD.

I think Dilbos's contribution to the restoration of some Dunhill could make a pipe more valuable.

Occasionally a 3rd party fixup can increase a pipe's value.

Last edited:

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Did you know that Kevin has an army of bot-droid-observer-creatures that keep track of how long it's been since your last board visit, and tap you on the shoulder (electronically) when they get impatient?

Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 4.23.16 PM.png

Me neither.

rotf

To keep them from escalating the matter and coming to my door RoboCop style, though, I figured I'd make a final attempt to explain the (apparently) never-ending collectable pipe / stem replacement situation.

First, if a stem is obviously not original, of course it affects value. Both monetary and emotional.

Second, if legit experts---including the maker of the original---declare a stem to be original, that's the end of it. It makes no difference WHO made it. (We're not talking multi-million dollar paintings, sculpture, coins, or etc., but tobacco pipes.)

Why did I mention "the maker of the original"? Because that challenge has been made several times, and the bet lost.

It's not interesting technically at all. Making stems is a wholly subtractive exercise. You start with a chunk of material and remove however much is necessary to make an exact dimensional duplicate of another object that's made of the same material. The end.

It's not even interesting philosophically. All the inspiration and artistry that was present in the original is, by definition, present in the copy.

A useful way to think about the situation is if magic wands were real, and someone reversed the breaking of their pipe's stem with a wave of it... would that constitute a "replacement"?

Would it even matter?

Here are some pix to illustrate, starting with a couple links:

And some paste-ins:

Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 4.31.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 4.37.02 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 4.40.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 5.48.09 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 5.50.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-23 at 5.51.32 PM.png

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It's not interesting technically at all. Making stems is a wholly subtractive exercise. You start with a chunk of material and remove however much is necessary to make an exact dimensional duplicate of another object that's made of the same material. The end.
This is very similar to what I believe Michelangelo is credited as saying, that he starts with a block of marble and takes away the excess.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Did you know that Kevin has an army of bot-droid-observer-creatures that keep track of how long it's been since your last board visit, and tap you on the shoulder (electronically) when they get impatient?

View attachment 290922

Me neither.

rotf

To keep them from escalating the matter and coming to my door RoboCop style, though, I figured I'd make a final attempt to explain the (apparently) never-ending collectable pipe / stem replacement situation.

First, if a stem is obviously not original, of course it affects value. Both monetary and emotional.

Second, if legit experts---including the maker of the original---declare a stem to be original, that's the end of it. It makes no difference WHO made it. (We're not talking multi-million dollar paintings, sculpture, coins, or etc., but tobacco pipes.)

Why did I mention "the maker of the original"? Because that challenge has been made several times, and the bet lost.

It's not even interesting philosophically. All the inspiration and artistry that was present in the original is, by definition, present in the copy.

A useful way to think about the situation is if magic wands were real, and someone reversed the breaking of their pipe's stem with a wave of it... would that constitute a "replacement"?

Would it even matter?

Here are some pix to illustrate, starting with a couple links:

And some paste-ins:

View attachment 290930
View attachment 290931
View attachment 290932
View attachment 290933
View attachment 290934
View attachment 290935
What happened with the last stem? Did a dog chew it up?

Reactions: kcghost