PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I live in Connecticut and though winters are not as bad as our brothers to the North, it still gets bellow freezing enough. Since I just started this hobby only a month ago, my place to enjoy my pipe is in our three season room. So far it has been quite enjoyable, but with winter approaching and no regular heat in this room I have a concern. Temps usually stay around 40 degrees inside at night, but can dip into the 30s when the mercury dips into the 20s. There is also a small wood stove in there and the temps can swing from those previously mentioned to 80 degrees when we fire up the stove. I was thinking of putting a small 6 pipe rack and some cheaper estate pipes in it on an end table out there for aesthetics and function. This would also include some tobacco in a jar. I have no problem putting on a jacket to smoke out there in the cold and will on occasions fire up the stove. What dangers if any will the pipes and tobacco be subjected too if left in this environment for the winter season? Thank you in advance for your input.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
Thanks roth. There are crank out glass windows on three sides so the sun during the day can actually make it tolerable without the stove, but nights will bring it down close to freezing. I certainly don't plan on leaving a good pipe (when I acquire one) out there overnight. It's good to know that they will be okay. Thank you.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Along this idea, is it safe to leave a pipe in your car when the weather dips below freezing? It would be for basically 8 to 10 hours at most. Or should a person play it safe and not leave it in a freezing car?

Status
Not open for further replies.