PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jbyrd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 4, 2023
Springfield MO
Hey guys/gals I need some help I have some coin tobacco. How should I prep/pack this stuff. I smoke flakes and ive used the fold and stuff and I've also rubbed the tobacco out just. wondering about the techniques for coins.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I think the tricky part about rubbing out coins—and this may be covered in Per Jensen’s advice—is that many if not most coins feature different tobaccos in the center—typically perique, dark-fired Kentucky, or cavendish. I like to strive to maintain the flavor balance of each coin, even though I’m breaking them up. In other words, I don’t want to rub out a bunch of coins all at once and then fill the bowl; that process may end up putting all of the center leaf together at the bottom of the bowl.

For that reason, if I’m smoking dime-size coins, I actually try to leave them intact, if the bowl size will permit. That way I know I’m getting an “intact flake” flavor experience. Otherwise, I’ll rub out each coin individually and load the bowl as I go.

Reactions: Jbyrd

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I usually stuff them intact, or rub them out, or roll them into balls or cylinders -- it really depends on your tastes and the size of the bowl.

Reactions: Jbyrd

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I find for me the best way to smoke them is fold it in half so it breaks up a little bit and just stuff one or two in at a time. I try to leave an air pocket at the bottom of the pipe, but not a big deal if that doesn't happen.