PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
Here in Europe those are not allowed to be called Cohibas even. They’re called ”Silencio” because (as I read it) ”Europe recognises Cubas right to protection of the brand” which US does not. It seems they are not connected with Cohiba whatsoever… can anyone who knows more than me clarify?

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Don't smoke cigars much anymore, but back in the '90's everyone was oohing and awing about Cohibas and after trying a few I honesty couldn't understand it. Just about the most boring Cuban I've ever smoked, and mine were the real deal, sent to me through diplomatic pouch from England. Buy yourself a Macanudo and save $50.
The worst premium cigar I smoked I got from a congressman (married to my boss at the time, the congressman) it was a cigar they got gifted from Castro on a diplomatic trip (not sure how many they got). I honestly thought oh I get it this is cigar would be amazing if I numbed my palate out by chain smoking cigars that's who this cigar is for. It was the opposite of boring it had so much going on but to me who loves cigars it made me understand the people who are perplexed by how anyone enjoys cigars.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Here in Europe those are not allowed to be called Cohibas even. They’re called ”Silencio” because (as I read it) ”Europe recognises Cubas right to protection of the brand” which US does not. It seems they are not connected with Cohiba whatsoever… can anyone who knows more than me clarify?
I think Cohiba was a brand created after the Revolution so I assume it was General sticking it to Castro? The owners of the other legacy brands sold the names to General when the fled Cuba.

Reactions: DedHed Piper

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma

General Cigar decided to engage in theft of intellectual property to try and sell some (mostly) mediocre cigars. Since it's a Cuban trademark, they figured the embargo would protect them.

It's a situation that is still developing. First, it looked like General lost their case:

... so General did what any respecting conglomerate would do - they filed yet again for their legal right to engage in plagiarism:

I'd contend that General would only sell a fraction of their cuban-branded sticks without the Cuban name attached. Agree or not, Cuban brands imply quality of tobacco, and General has been using that inference to push garbage sticks for years. I hope General loses and loses miserably.

DedHed Piper

Might Stick Around
Dec 28, 2019
Sweden
General Cigar decided to engage in theft of intellectual property to try and sell some (mostly) mediocre cigars. Since it's a Cuban trademark, they figured the embargo would protect them.

It's a situation that is still developing. First, it looked like General lost their case:

... so General did what any respecting conglomerate would do - they filed yet again for their legal right to engage in plagiarism:

I'd contend that General would only sell a fraction of their cuban-branded sticks without the Cuban name attached. Agree or not, Cuban brands imply quality of tobacco, and General has been using that inference to push garbage sticks for years. I hope General loses and loses miserably.
Thank you for that thorough answer. One learns new stuff every day.

Reactions: anotherbob