PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm not a HUGEcigar guy, but I do have two 50 count humidors. And I've tried maybe 25 to 30 different kinds of cigars. The cohiba red dot have been my absolute favorite so far. So much so that I found a small 25 ct tin of the red dot cigarellos and smoked it in 2 days.

Mtlpiper

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2019
Montreal, QC
"Worth it" depends on how much you like cigars and how much you're willing or capable to part with.

I really enjoyed the Cuban Cohibas (robusto and siglio II's) and they are excellent cigars. I can't speak for the red dots.

Prices here in Canada for them are totally insane at the moment ($55 CAD for a single Siglio II). At that point, I'm priced out. That's not far off of the price for a pound of my favourite G&H blend. That will provide me with more enjoyment over a longer time period.

So two main things pop into my brain when I look at those prices:

1) I've bought "Cuban seconds" of robustos (available for around $60 for a bundle) and to be honest, they were pretty nice (but they are a bit uh... likely fake, so possibly a total gamble).

2) Back when I was a cigar smoker (a long time ago) I'd pick up a box of 25 Robustos for about £200 (they now retail for over $1600).

For that price it was great. But these days I don't see myself spending more than $30 on any cigar (unless it was really special or I had the spare cash to blow). YMMV. Pipe tobacco prices really spoil me.

There are plenty of other really great cigars available for significantly cheaper. A pack of 10 Robusto's from Rocky Patel is $150 ($12 each).

I'd go with that any day of the week over Cuban at the current prices.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
When they first made Cohibas outside of Cuba with same logo band, they were rather nice. Used to smoke robusto a lot. Haven't had cigars in awhile to know if they are same. Noticed logo change. Never had Cuban Cohibas.

Reactions: tbradsim1

Markem

Might Stick Around
Aug 4, 2022
Beaverton, OR
I'm guessing that you smoked the non-Cuban (NC) brand. They are easily identified by the red dot in the middle of the hole in the "O" of Cohiba. They are a nice smoke and used to be one of the best NCs. You might also see if your local B&M has any Tauaje cigars as Pete Johnson does really good blend development.

driftedshank1

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2018
For a number of years I had the opportunity of smoking many Cohiba Robustos and Siglo VIs which were purchased from Sautter's in London. They were beyond excellent in my opinion.

When, for a number of reasons, my connection for Cohibas ended I needed to find a less expensive alternative. I found that Partagas, especially the D4 really worked for me. Not quite as good as the Cohiba Robusto these cigars at far less cost, came close to giving me what I wanted from a Cuban.

Evidently, Covid and the demand generated by the Chinese have lowered the avaiability of popular sizes and driven up prices considerbly. So I can't find the cigars I want from retailers like ihavanas or Cigar1. They used to have good prices for genuine Cubans and decent availability, but no more.

Cubatogo

Lurker
Feb 10, 2023
Are they worth the money, bought a 5 ok sampler first time smoke!
Definitely not anymore. Used to buy boxes of 25 Cohiba Robustos at $8.45/stick. Now at LCDH prices have exploded to $70 to $80! This goes for prices in Cuba also. As a Canadian this puts it at >$100/stick. Even a box of Montecristo #4 used to be $40/box in early 2000’s ….now $400. Forget it. The Cohiba Behike’s will run you $200-$300/stick! Prices have gone ballistic since last Fall.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm not all that knowledgeable about cigars, but back in the 90's I enjoyed them from time to time. They were the high end of cigars I smoked. I thought the flavor was excellent, and I felt I was living large.

Mine weren't Cubans. I think they were Dominicans, and I'm pretty sure they were authentically the brand. Big robust flavor but not oppressive strength.

Reactions: Cubatogo

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
While the question might be a bit dead asked in september 2022, ill still bite.

I think Habanos Cohibas (not talking the General Cigars Habanos names brands, those are not available in Europe) are not worth their money and never where. A Siglo costs 30 to 40 euro's, not to mention other Siglos or CoRos, god forbid a Espy or a Lancero which costs around 90 to 100 euros. A Partagas D4 will cost around 14 euro's the last time I bought a box. I would much rather have a D4, while Partagas is my favorite Habanos brand, I dont think any cigar is really more worth than 20 euro's.

Cubatogo

Lurker
Feb 10, 2023
While the question might be a bit dead asked in september 2022, ill still bite.

I think Habanos Cohibas (not talking the General Cigars Habanos names brands, those are not available in Europe) are not worth their money and never where. A Siglo costs 30 to 40 euro's, not to mention other Siglos or CoRos, god forbid an Espy or a Lancero which costs around 90 to 100 euros. A Partagas D4 will cost around 14 euro's the last time I bought a box. I would much rather have a D4, while Partagas is my favorite Habanos brand, I dont think any cigar is really more worth than 20 euro's.
Agree, going to forego the Cohiba‘s and go with the more reasonable and just as flavourful Partagas D4, Punch Punch and my favorite little smoke the R&J Mille Fleur. All have increased in price but the Cohiba brand has become unpalatable…

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I really liked the Cuban Robusto in Cohibas but the prices were way higher than other brands that are good. I would recommend you try Bolivars. It is up to you if there is sufficient value for you there.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Agree, going to forego the Cohiba‘s and go with the more reasonable and just as flavourful Partagas D4, Punch Punch and my favorite little smoke the R&J Mille Fleur. All have increased in price but the Cohiba brand has become unpalatable…
No one than habanos does a small cigar better imho! Not only mille fleurs (which i love), but also other PC'S like Bolivar and Ramon Allones, I also love HUpmann Half Coronas.

Reactions: Cubatogo

Zamora

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2023
Olympia, Washington
At this point I've accepted I'll probably never be able to have a Cuban Cohiba. I don't have that much disposable income and by the time I do they'll only be more expensive. Spend a few minutes in any pipes space and you'll hear people say to cellar because you'll save money in the long run, that advice isn't common with cigars but for Cubans it's definitely sound.

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
I'm just speaking of the Dominican or Nicaraguan Cohiba's. In my opinion those sticks are at least priced 5.00 over of what they should be. In other words you're paying for the name mostly because of the branding of the name. Even non-smokers know the name Cohiba. There's a ton of cigars out there at better prices and in just my own opinion better tasting. TIFWIW