PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Just curious how many enjoy experimenting with mixing up their own cocktails with what you have on hand?
How did they turn out?
What did you mix up?
I just mixed up 2 oz. of Tanqueray gin with some grapefruit juice and a shot of cranberry juice over ice and it's not bad!
Last night I mixed a couple shots of Jim Beam with a little ginger ale and couple dashes of orange bitters over iced and it was pretty decent as well!
Not following any recipes, just having fun, playing around at the bar!

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I pretty much only ever have two

Botanist Gin with Fever Tree Elderflower Tonic
Rye Old Fashioned (Citrus muddled in simple syrup, angostura, rye, one ice cube).

The closest thing to an experiment I've done was using fresh squeezed farmers market Meyer lemon juice in a Tom Collins once in Hawaii. I filled up a gigantic plastic blender pitcher with it (NO GLASS IN THE POOL!) and went swimming. I gobbled that shit down like a starving hog at the slop trough.

I may or may not have offended several local sun baked geriatrics. To be fair, my blood is too thick for tropical climates so I consume liquids at an exorbitant rate, and also, nowhere in the pool rules does it say that cannonballs are not allowed in the hot tub.

Short story long it was good.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I’m pretty bland. I drink bourbon and whiskey.

I drink any of the ones in my cabinet one of these ways

1. Neat
2. With a large ice ball
3. Ice cubes
4. Manhattan
5. Old Fashioned
A. Traditional
B. Freestyle
- I use different bitters to achieve magic.
- example - Habanero Bitters, Chocolate Bitters, Cherry Bitters, Orange Bitters or a Heavy Cloved Bitters. I have about a dozen different kinds.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I just made an old fashioned in a glass, no shaker method.

3 oz of Redemption Wheated Bourbon
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
2 dashes of Fee Brothers Aromatic Bitters
Orange Zest
Stir, drop in large Cube, add
1 Luxardo Cherry

Not too shabby!

Reactions: STP and ofafeather
I mostly drink single malts, with an occasional Bourbon, Tequila or Rum. I drink them neat, with a couple of ice cubes or a couple of tablespoons of chilled water. Recently I am experimenting a bit with gin.
Margarita is a favorite cocktail which I consume occasionally, but I am also experimenting with bitters - I only have Angostura Aromatic and Angostura Orange but seeing @ashdigger post above, might become more experimental.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
My favourite bitters is hops and grapefruit by elemental distillers. Even with a non-sweet tonic water it adds enough flavour to enjoy a thirst quencher. If any of you gin lovers can get hold of it, they have a roots dry gin that celebrates NZ ingredients.

Reactions: STP

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Outside of Long Island Beach Tea and the occasional Loch Lomond I'm not big on fruity mixed drinks, but I'm loving this. Just killed a six pack since getting home from work.

20210419_020908.jpg

Last edited:

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’m pretty bland. I drink bourbon and whiskey.

I drink any of the ones in my cabinet one of these ways

1. Neat
2. With a large ice ball
3. Ice cubes
4. Manhattan
5. Old Fashioned
A. Traditional
B. Freestyle
- I use different bitters to achieve magic.
- example - Habanero Bitters, Chocolate Bitters, Cherry Bitters, Orange Bitters or a Heavy Cloved Bitters. I have about a dozen different kinds.

x2.

Although, I’ve been cutting carbs for the last few months, so I haven’t had an Old Fashioned in quite some time. I’ve read about keto-friendly Old Fashioned recipes, but I’ve grown pretty fond of subbing in some small-scale, pure maple syrup from an acquaintance in NY for my sugar/simple syrup component, and I’m not sure I can deviate from that ritual after becoming particularly fond of it.

Not a fan of Manhattans, so no loss there.

Reactions: ofafeather

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
x2.

Although, I’ve been cutting carbs for the last few months, so I haven’t had an Old Fashioned in quite some time. I’ve read about keto-friendly Old Fashioned recipes, but I’ve grown pretty fond of subbing in some small-scale, pure maple syrup from an acquaintance in NY for my sugar/simple syrup component, and I’m not sure I can deviate from that ritual after becoming particularly fond of it.

Not a fan of Manhattans, so no loss there.
Bacon bourbon maple Old Fashioned is heaven in a glass.

feature_good_bac_DSC_0005.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I used to mix up different drinks years ago, but got tired of it. Now I just pretty much drink it as it comes, straight with or without ice.
However, I tried this experiment about a year ago, with some god-awful commercial moonshine someone gave me. I took a couple of chunks of barrel staves that came in the FM Cellar tobacco that I'd saved and but them in a pint jar with the moonshine for about 3 months. First time I'd had tobacco/whiskey flavored booze. Wasn't too bad, in fact it was far more drinkable than the original, and it really didn't take too much effort either.

fullsizeoutput_2d1b.jpeg

Reactions: markus and STP

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
The best moonshine I’ve ever had was produced on an Indian Reservation here in Nevada. It was made with a combination of Gooseberries and Currants. It was actually quite delicious.

Fun Fact, I traded a laptop computer for two gallons of it.

Reactions: STP

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I mostly enjoy beer?. There’s not a whole lot that you can do with beer... that taste good, but I’ll occasionally make my own version of a Red-Eye, aka, Red-Beer, Tomato Beer, or as my family calls it, Italian Beer. I use a can of V8 instead of tomato juice. I’ll also add a little hot sauce from time-to-time. It works better with a light beer, like Miller Lite
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.