PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

corncobguy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 3, 2012
cobs vs briars is a question that will always be asked. IMO i lean toward cobs because im always doing something ( working on the car, cutting grass, in the garden, whatever) and i dont want to break one of my good briars. but when im relaxing i grab a briar 9 out of ten times( that 1 out of ten is always, always a mm country gent) mmmmm time for a bowl.

mikros

Lurker
Sep 13, 2012
I smoke my corncobs mostly, this website has nice stems for MM corncobs, http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/_forever__stems.html
I have the "fire swirl 4-3/4 bent" - stem on a bent "country gentleman" Missouri Meerschaum pipe, it looks very cool imho. It is my current favorite pipe.
But, like most people will tell you, it is personal preference that matters. I like my briars and clays too.

I feel like corncobs and clays effect the tobacco less, but I readily admit I dont always rest my briars. If they sit a long time I dont really notice ghosting. I had Dunhill London mix earlier in a corncob, and right now in a briar that hasnt been used in a few weeks, I dont think I notice any difference.
I dont have any real expensive pipes, I think one of my briars was about 60.00. If I really splurge someday It'd be a really cool calabash I think.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
read this...
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=The_Complete_Corncob_primer
then smoke em...
i have a mm diplomate i smoke daily, some days more than once and have done so for 2+ years with little futzing with it. and it looks like it'll last another 20 years.

maduroman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 15, 2010
haven't touched mine in a couple hours... time to fill it up and puff away...

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Am I the only one that has found you need to tamp more often & harder with a cob to get a decent smoke?

johnny

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
I find that the only tobaccos I can really get to shine in cobs are burleys. I really like burley though, as I do most tobaccos. PA in a cob is pure bliss!

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Cobs briars and meers. I enjoy how they all smoke. Only one I really don't enjoy smoking is my zenith clay that came in an ebay lot that I won. In fact I wish that I had purchased a few more meers at the start. Whatever enjoy your smokes.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Rothnh- yeah. It started getting crazy Color as soon as I started applying the beeswax during the smoke. I'm about to put it aside for a few weeks to see how the Color progresses. That and I've been kinda neglecting my other pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.