Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

KruegerFlap

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2021
Ohio
I like briars, meerschaums, and cobs. That being said I smoke cobs the most often; I like the open draw, light weight, and ease of maintenance of cobs and if I scorch the rim with the lighter a little it's no big deal. My briars see their fair share of use but I'm much more mindful of maintenance and care on those. They all deliver different smoking experiences with each tobacco so I find which combo I like best and roll with it. My working theory with pipes is why limit yourself when it's not necessary?

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
I started with corn cobs. I think they are essential cobs. Although I think that for my personal taste, you can't miss their brethren of heather and meerschaum. I still don't have meerschaum pipes, but I think it's the perfect rotation for me.

Reactions: UB 40 and Hudsona14

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
A year and a half ago, I asked a local tobacconist, he had some pipe tobacco most aromatics but also some Mac baren and three nuns, why he wouldn’t sell some cobs at the counter.

No, he said, cobs won’t sell from the counter in that small city. But what the heck, why I wanted to smoke a cob anyway, I surely was no American field worker to shove a sturdy dirty pipe like that in the back pocket of my trousers.

He supposed me to take the more refined way, in his thinking that was smoking briars.

What I got from that answer was maybe a lot pipe smokers think of smoking pipes as highly prestigious thing. The same as showing of their Porsche SUV or Rolex as symbols of status as well as their expensive pipes.

I decided to buy some cobs online right in Washington Missouri first hand, and I did well. I smoke them every day, even in my car. And of course I shove it in the back pocket of my Jeans, when done.

52CF432C-10B2-4BC4-9F7C-5C3538945C9D.jpeg

Hudsona14

Lurker
Oct 30, 2022
Palestine TX
A year and a half ago, I asked a local tobacconist, he had some pipe tobacco most aromatics but also some Mac baren and three nuns, why he wouldn’t sell some cobs at the counter.

No, he said, cobs won’t sell from the counter in that small city. But what the heck, why I wanted to smoke a cob anyway, I surely was no American field worker to shove a sturdy dirty pipe like that in the back pocket of my trousers.

He supposed me to take the more refined way, in his thinking that was smoking briars.

What I got from that answer was maybe a lot pipe smokers think of smoking pipes as highly prestigious thing. The same as showing of their Porsche SUV or Rolex as symbols of status as well as their expensive pipes.

I decided to buy some cobs online right in Washington Missouri first hand, and I did well. I smoke them every day, even in my car. And of course I shove it in the back pocket of my Jeans, when done.

View attachment 179817
Wow, you put a thought out there that I really have bot even thought of. I can definitely see how one would gather that some would look at the different pipes and class them like societal classes. I suppose that the Porsche of my smoking is the pipe that I pick out of my collection for a smoke at that moment. Either briar or cob. Well said good sir, and thank you for the enlightenment that you have bought to the front of my thinking.

Reactions: JOHN72 and ARTOPUT