PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
Lately I’ve been noticing that my cobs are harder to keep lit and smoke hotter than the couple of briars I have. I like the taste I get from the cobs slightly better. This is recently developed problem. I’m packing and tamping the same. Should I be drying the tobacco longer for cobs?
I've never heard this complaint. It's usually the opposite. Are you allowing cake to build in the cobs, because you shouldn't.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, the original post is contrary to what we usually hear. Cobs smoke cool and are easy to keep lit and often burn the whole chamber of tobacco with no diminishment of flavor and produce only white ash. This is my experience with them over decades. Making them burn hot is pretty rare. The ease of keeping them lit is exemplary. I just don't know what you're doing. It's like saying your Volkswagen bug is imperiling your life by being overpowered. That's just a joke, but I'm having trouble visualizing what you're doing. I guess just more practice and better technique will bring these benefits to you.

Swampfox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2022
North Central Florida
In my research I have also found my problem to be odd. I know they are supposed to smoke cool and for a while that was my experience. I do have 7 and rotate them daily. If I do smoke more than once a day I change pipes.@mso, I’m not sure I know what I’m doing either. Actually I fairly certain of it ?I’m sure it’s operator error just not sure why. I didn’t have this issue when smoking aromatics? I keep them lit better now than a year ago but just find my briars stay lit easier and longer (I just started smoking briars). I think I just need to slow down?

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I experience the opposite, briars tend to get warmer than ?s for me. However, I rarely ever smoke a bowl ? these days…I kinda sip and take my time. I also don’t think you need to dry your ? any longer for a ? than ?. That said, I’m not sure why the ? is hotter than the ? for you?☕
This reads like some of those books my kids have.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A proposed title: The Childrens' Book of Tobacco Pipes. That one would surely get banned from school libraries, which is a good way to sell copies otherwise. What kid wants to read a book that hasn't been banned? I think I was in middle school/junior high when I picked up a copy of Steinbeck's "East of Eden," which is about a man whose mother became a prostitute, definitely adult subject.

JOHN72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2020
Spain - Europe
My experience with the cobs is that it gets wetter than a briar pipe. The cob has to be left to dry longer than a briar pipe. While the briar pipe, for me, is easier to smoke several times, because the moisture does not penetrate as easily as it penetrates a corn pipe. In the end, in a corn pipe, a dry or very dry tobacco is more suitable. It is true that the smokes are juicier and fresher, the tobacco tastes more real, cleaner. But it is also early because the only briar pipe I have, is very new and does not have a thin layer of cake, and at the moment it gives me a bitter taste, since the walls barely have some cake. That is my experience of smoking a corn pipe. In short, corn pipe let it dry as much as possible and add a dry or very dry tobacco. I still have a long way to go before I can know how to smoke a briar pipe, its aroma, its taste etc. The cleaning advantage is better in a briar pipe, you can wash it with water, not a corn pipe, because its walls absorb the humidity very easily. So I only clean corn pipes with 96º alcohol. This is my humble opinion. I hope it helps you.

Beers 'N Briars

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Yakima, Washington
I do love my cobs, though I smoke my briars a little more frequently. Probably around a 60/40 split. I had this problem with only one of my cobs, and it was a smaller bowl that had no hardwood plug in the bottom. Bowl would expand until it started cracking along the kernel lines. Filled them in with a little Elmer's glue, and it works fine, but I don't hit it as hard or as often as my bigger cobs with a hardwood insert. Never had a single issue with them. I don't use filters and change all my standard bits to Danish ones on my cobs. Don't know what bearing that may have, but cobs are cheap enough to experiment, so try a few different things, and as always YMMV.