Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
First post, correct me if I have made any mistakes in how or where I have posted..

I am a fairly new piper and still finding my tastes. I recently got some Cobblestone Knight and it is my first favorite of all that I have tried. I just bought a few tins of the Fishing to try soon but I am eager to try more Cobblestone blends. There are quite a few so I am looking for any recommendations on gems among their lineup. Also if anyone is familiar with Knight and has similar recommendations I would be all ears.

Thanks in advance to any recommendations or discussion!

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
The Chess series are made by the same blenders (Kopp) that make Robert McConnell, Fribourg & Treyer, and Ashton blends, among others. I would check those out.

I have tins of Knight, King, and Queen cellared, but have not cracked any of them yet. I've heard good things and have been a fan of all of the Kopp tobaccos I've tried thus far.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
I have 3 Cobblestone blends in the cellar: Hunting, Chess King and Brick Kentucky Plug. I have them because I enjoyed their blend, Hiking, so much.

If you enjoy burley, then Hiking is definitely worth a look. I have it right up there with HH Burley Flake and Erik Stokkebye 1931 as my favorites in that genre.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
For some reason, Outdoor Series "Hiking" has become somewhat of a unicorn it was all over the place and easy to get a couple of years back then peeps started comparing it to a poor man's Esoterica Stonehaven and it has gone dark if you see it rear its head rope that sunabitch and smoke it till the cows come home.

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
First post, correct me if I have made any mistakes in how or where I have posted..

I am a fairly new piper and still finding my tastes. I recently got some Cobblestone Knight and it is my first favorite of all that I have tried. I just bought a few tins of the Fishing to try soon but I am eager to try more Cobblestone blends. There are quite a few so I am looking for any recommendations on gems among their lineup. Also if anyone is familiar with Knight and has similar recommendations I would be all ears.

Thanks in advance to any recommendations or discussion!
That's a favorite of mine as well. Capstan Ready Rubbed is quite similar in both cut and taste profile. If you'd like to try an aromatic version of a similar broken flake I'd recommend Milonga by Dan Tobacco.

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
I have 3 Cobblestone blends in the cellar: Hunting, Chess King and Brick Kentucky Plug. I have them because I enjoyed their blend, Hiking, so much.

If you enjoy burley, then Hiking is definitely worth a look. I have it right up there with HH Burley Flake and Erik Stokkebye 1931 as my favorites in that genre.
I am still developing a taste for burley. I have tried Mac Barens golden extra and was surprised at the flavor. I didn’t dislike it but wasn’t sure how I felt about it. I have been waiting for the snow to melt and temps to rise to find a tree to sit under and give it another shot. My non smoker company wasn’t to keen on the smell of it so I gotta get outside to give it another go.

Reactions: yanoJL
Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
For some reason, Outdoor Series "Hiking" has become somewhat of a unicorn it was all over the place and easy to get a couple of years back then peeps started comparing it to a poor man's Esoterica Stonehaven and it has gone dark if you see it rear its head rope that sunabitch and smoke it till the cows come home.
I will be keeping an eye out for it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Mar 8, 2024
Alaska
That's a favorite of mine as well. Capstan Ready Rubbed is quite similar in both cut and taste profile. If you'd like to try an aromatic version of a similar broken flake I'd recommend Milonga by Dan Tobacco.
I have a tin of Capstan blue I am excited to crack open. Its only a few months old so I wanna wait a bit to open it up.

Reactions: jbfrady

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
My first smoke of hiking was one of the best burley flakes I have ever tried, and I love burley. I would have happily smoked this blend exclusively. The only down side for me was that the blend went flat faster than any other I have experienced. Sure, I kept it in the tin and not a jar, but we are talking less than a month it was cardboard.

But yes, if you see it, grab it.