PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
This may not completely qualify as a "repair" job, but more of a "secure it" job...

I've got a loose shank on both this pipe and another MM hardwood pipe.

Any suggested "repairs" (besides just shoving it in harder) to keep the shank secured to the bowl?

My preference is to NOT use chemical glues and etc. Just a good old fashioned 18th century type of "fix", like a "mud" or something.

I've heard that mixing spit with ash, then compacting it, can create a "brick" of sorts, but I'm not sure how that would perform on a porous bowl.20240729_101555.jpg

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
If you really want to not use synthetic products (they use glue at MM) - try some egg white... Or perhaps pine pitch (if you are into smoking christmas trees...) Or harvest some gutta percha from a rubber tree... Or shelac - after the alcohol evaporates all you are left with is Lac shit...

Jahman7

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2024
Texas
If you really want to not use synthetic products (they use glue at MM) - try some egg white... Or perhaps pine pitch (if you are into smoking christmas trees...) Or harvest some gutta percha from a rubber tree... Or shelac - after the alcohol evaporates all you are left with is Lac shit..
I don't have much experience with MM products, but based on the last two I bought, they no longer use glue... lol.

As for my other MM products (one or two other pipes), I have not fallen in love with them enough to know what they used to put it together - or if they will soon fall apart.

Reactions: jhowell and kcghost

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Just put the stem back in, and then run a small bead of PVA glue round the outside of the join. It is enough to hold it , and there is no glue on the inside of your smoke.

Reactions: Jahman7