PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taker

Lurker
Jul 20, 2021
Hi i am a total newbie to pipe smoking, i have bought a cob pipe been using it for a while, but it stopped allowing me to suck through it, so i took the stem off and inside is a tube thingy which was totally blocked up, what is it called so i can order another one, sorry for having no clue.

Mar 2, 2021
Alabama USA
Hi i am a total newbie to pipe smoking, i have bought a cob pipe been using it for a while, but it stopped allowing me to suck through it, so i took the stem off and inside is a tube thingy which was totally blocked up, what is it called so i can order another one, sorry for having no clue.
Yes, you can , are able, to purchase another one. However, you could use a pipe cleaner to dislodge.

Reactions: Charlie718

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
If you didn't remove it when you purchased it, it's just a cardboard place holder for a 6mm filter. You can smoke it with or without filters.?

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
You need to clean the pipe. No one else will do it for you. Not even pipe fairy. Get some pipe cleaner and clean that pipe. You should be able to keep on using it.

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
Looks like a Dr. Grabow brand pipe filter in a Missouri Meerschaum pipe. I personally don't use filters in my pipes at all. You might try just cleaning the stem and stummel well with a pipe cleaner and alcohol (I use whiskey, some folks prefer everclear or vodka). Then fire it up and give it a try!

Dudditz

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 3, 2021
New Jersey
Its the small bit that was actually twice that size originally
That tube thingy that says Grabow on it is a pipe filter. They are good for two to maybe 3 bowls then you should replace it. Now that being said. If some is missing it is in the black thingy called the stem and you can easily (hopefully) put a pipe cleaner in one end that you put in your mouth and push the other piece out. If it is in the other part of the cob pipe, then you may need to get some tweezers to grab it and pull it out. IF...you don't have any of the filter left in either side and it still won't draw or smoke, then you have a clogged draft hole or stem and the cob part of the pipe and the stem both need a good reaming with a pipe cleaner.

Good luck and let us know how you made out.

Charlie718

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2021
Bronx, New York
@Taker if you could get a pick looking into the stem and shank it would be easier to tell what’s blocking it. Also a pick inside the bowl, sometimes they’re not perfectly open and have some loose wood that could have become wet and then blocked the draft hole. This cob had that wood burr but I removed it with a knife and tweezers 09EC3AA5-5FE0-4F6D-B646-932E43DC1A66.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.