PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Bought an estate Chacom "Fiesta" a while back and discovered it's previous caretaker had smoked Lakelands in it. Since then I have been trying various G&H blends and loving them all, even dedicating a couple other pipes to them (this one and a Radice Rind to anything "soapy" and a custom job to Bob's Chocolate Flake specifically.)
This of course led to a quest for any SG blend I could find. You know how that goes... When I saw that an E-tailer (Mars I think) had pound slabs of Cob Plug available, I leapt!
Right out of the plastic, the monolith of dark Virginia looked and smelled incredibly rich and powerful. A hint of sweetness and vanilla (Tonquin?) but not overbearing and hardly floral, not soapy.
I sliced/sawed off a sorry looking uneven flake, chopped and rubbed it into a coarse shag/cube/crumble, and loaded up the Chacom. Wow! Smooth, rich and mellow, really enhanced by the "essence" without being super floral. Took a bit of doing to light and then behaved nicely till the bottom of the bowl, where the big chunks had settled, necessitating a few re-lights. No goop and no gurgle.
I recall this is the plug version of 1792... Strong medicine. I feel like I have been run over by a truck with velvet tires. Considering the origin of the plug, I guess this means I've just been pranged by a velveteen lorry, eh wot old bean?
Not bitey at all, rich tasting, slow burning, one hell of a wallop. Next time I'll try a finer rub or just a folded flake. Good stuff but hardly an all day or even an every day, with almost a pound left I think I'm set for a while.

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Nice!!! Good score mate! I really like the 1792. Have you tried the tinned version? If so, is there much of a difference. I am curious and might get a pound myself if they are one and the same. Enjoy the plug!

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
I've never been able to find the tinned version, but I have read the flavoring is less pronounced in the plug version.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Yeah cob or 1792 are both one of those tobaccos that I can only handle in small doses. I will, on occasion, load a pipe with 1792 and smoke it all day with DGT breaks in between. I haven't had cob plug in a good long while. I do have access to all the SG tobaccos at my local tobacconist, but, being in Canada, it aint cheap. Cost about $22.00 a tin. let me know if you want any of them and I will purchase and mail.

standardgewehr

Might Stick Around
Feb 2, 2011
Thanks for the kind offer... Ouch! Guess I never thought about tobacco prices in CA! Guess I can stop complaining about taxes here...

Status
Not open for further replies.