PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
So, for some strange reason, I am all of a sudden getting a bit drawn to cob pipes. I find myself wanting to purchase one but don't know where to start. For years, my collection has only included briars. So, my questions are, which is a good beginner cob and what exactly is the benefit of smoking a cob? Thanks for any help!
-The Doctor

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
MM Legend or Missouri Pride are what I've got. They smoke very well.
All cobs are beginner cobs in my opinion. Find a couple that you like, and smoke away.
Some benefits of the Mighty Cob are: cheap, disposable, low maintenance, they smoke very dry, won't ghost so they're good for aro's etc.
I use mine to and from work, sometimes at work, so I don't risk losing/breaking a briar.
They see some use at home, too.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I find these the best cobs for newcomers

https://aristocob.com/NEKED-Natural-C350863.aspx?sid=15455
I have over 40 cobs and I've settled on the "Natural" cobs. I find they smoke cooler then other cobs and I get a better taste.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Something about burley blends in a cob. They just go together imo. I like cobs for a quick morning or afternoon smoke, then save my briars for longer evening smokes.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Missouri Meerschaum sets the standards for cobs. If you can find one with an acrylic or vulcanite stem, that's ideal, or you can retrofit them with Forever acrylic stems. The regular plastic stems are serviceable, but I tend to chew them up after several dozen smokes. MM sells some freehand pipes with good large bowls and vulcanite stems, and their collaboration with Dagner on poker/nose-warmer pipes have acrylic stems. Once you get a cob you like, it is no longer a "disposable" pipe. You really get attached to them. Other than MM cobs, the other quality cob is Old Dominion, made with heritage Native American corn cobs and real reed stems. They are also fine smokers. Cobs are great for beginners because they smoke so easily, don't require any special attention nor breaking-in for most people. Some people are self conscious about the homespun look of cobs, but I think they are a nice contrast even when you're dressed up. A cob and a tux, perfect.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Cobs are great, some people prefer them. I kind of do. Briars are for sitting back and relaxing. You really should do all kinds of care with a briar. Putting a pipe cleaner in them after a smoke and resting them, etc.. Cobs you just smoke and they are a good smoke.
That being said, some blends sing in a briar and some sing in a cob. So, yeah, sometimes cobs are the superior pipe, period. But sometimes you can't beat a briar.

colorduke

Mar 5, 2011
I have over 2 dozen MM cobs of all shapes and sizes and they all get a workout.

upnorth1

Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
I have several Missouri Meerschaum cobs. You can't go wrong with a Legend and they have many other fine models. If you can't find them locally you can buy them straight from Missouri Meerschaum online. They also sell a grab bag of ten cob seconds with minor blemishes for about 34$.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I have no real 'cob' in my collection, but I have a Missouri Meerschaum
Then you have the only "Real Cob". I smoke meerschaums 80% of the time, the other 20% are cobs. It's getting scarce I smoke my briars much anymore...

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I have some nice briar pipes, but still smoke my cobs most of the time. Cobs simply smoke great, and continue to smoke great with little fuss.
I have about 20 different corn cob pipes.
The beauty is for very little investment, you can have a wide range of shapes/ sizes/ smoke times. Missouri Meerschaum makes cobs designed for a 15 minutes smoke (like the Eaton) all the way to a 3 hour smoke (like the General); and of course a whole bunch in between!
For your first cob I would recommend a Legend, or a Country Gentleman.

Status
Not open for further replies.