PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwynclan

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2012
I left my favorite cob out in the rain by accident, it is in major disrepair. The place were the shank meets the pipe body is cracked bad , but not loose yet. What can i use to repair.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Picture please, if your talking about the place where the dowel is glued into the bowel, that part normally cracks because the glue can't take the heat forever. It doesn't cause the pipe to get loose and most people do not bother repairing it, they just keep on puff'n.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I have used Elmer's glue all(the white stuff) to reattach the shank to the bowl. It works quite well. Give the water plenty of time to dry out before gluing of course.

physiognomy

Lurker
Aug 15, 2012
USA
Probably not the response you were looking for, but I suggest buying another (or 5) & starting the journey anew. Fixing cobs seems like a hassle when they are so easily replaced. That said, I don't get particularly attached to them...

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
To me, repairing a cob seems like trying to sharpen a bic razor. Neither is meant to be repaired nor last forever. But as an exercise in "what if?", I say go for it.

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
If it was not for rain we would not have cobs at all, let it dry and re glue if needed.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Probably not the response you were looking for, but I suggest buying another (or 5) & starting the journey anew. Fixing cobs seems like a hassle when they are so easily replaced. That said, I don't get particularly attached to them...
To me, repairing a cob seems like trying to sharpen a bic razor. Neither is meant to be repaired nor last forever. But as an exercise in "what if?", I say go for it.
+1

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
Okay, YES, cobs are cheap, but why is everyone complaining about taking two minutes to pull out the Elmers??! Seriously, if five minutes and five cents worth of glue aren't worth it, I don't know what to say. :P

choppa

Might Stick Around
Aug 11, 2012
Maui
+1
+2

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
why is everyone complaining about taking two minutes to pull out the Elmers??!
Who's complaining? We just said, why bother for a product that is not intended to last, but do it if ya want.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Get some more.... You can never have to many cobs!
IMG_1829-1.jpg

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Put it in the oven at lowest temperature you can set and it will dry out faster. Then use the glue. Since stem is soft plastic remove it first. If the cob is an old favorite or has some life left why waste it?

Status
Not open for further replies.